Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about bottle feeding an 8month old

(6 Posts)
Pinotgrigioplease Wed 07-Nov-12 16:38:51

I have recently started to replace breast feeding with bottle feeding with the intention of only keeping the morning BF when I return to work next month.

I have been using Aptamil first stage which says from 7-12 months I should only be giving 3 bottles a day. This doesn't seem enough though!

Please tell me many bottles a day your 8 month old has/had in a day and the timings of them.

Thanks

teacher123 Wed 07-Nov-12 16:55:30

Don't guidelines say 500-600mls formula a day until a year, or breastfeed on demand? I'm sure that's what I've read, and think its on the back of the sma packet. 6 1/2 month old DS is currently refusing to drink any formula... I am throwing away tons trying to get him to drink the bloody stuff!

PebblePots Wed 07-Nov-12 17:09:35

Hi op, I would really suggest just feeding as much as the baby wants on demand, that's what I have done. The back of the packet is just a guide. um, does it really just say 3 bottles, from memory I thought it said 5?

My baby was on 4/5 bottles a day. She fell into a rough routine on her own: 18.30, 03.00, 06.30, 08.30 pre-nap, 12.00 pre-nap, sometime in afternoon half bottle. The 06.30 was only a half bottle too, maybe less.

vodkaanddietirnbru Wed 07-Nov-12 19:10:42

mine had 4 bottles a day at that age and up until about 9 months when he dropped to 3. He was down to 2 by 11 months

PebblePots Thu 08-Nov-12 07:33:50

Just checked, & yes it does say 3, that assumes they are eating lots of solids. Just feed what yr baby wants & don't worry! smile

nickelrocketgoBooooooom Thu 08-Nov-12 12:05:23

I think I would feed the baby smaller amounts at the same kind of timings as breastfeeds.

At that age, they can feed themselves with a bottle or beaker, so I'd be inclined to do that (under supervision of course!)
and then also do bottles for cosy time.
the reason I suggest doing some as if normal mealtimes is because if you're going back to work, you want them to associate the formula with food not cuddle time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now