Talk

Advanced search

oversupply and block feeding

(11 Posts)
toomuchtooyoung Wed 07-Nov-12 05:24:55

15 week old ds has had strange nappies since sunday. Mostly normal yellow liquidy bf contents, but sometimes green without much liquid content. He also seems to be making a huge effort grunting and straining to go, more than usual, and is pooing at every feed.

I have been block feeding since Sunday switching every 6 hours and just wondering how long this takes to show any difference?

Also confused why the green poo has only just manifested itself now at 15 weeks?

Gwlondon Wed 07-Nov-12 08:35:26

I block fed for weeks until I got my supply down. (maybe it was 6 weeks cant remember) But you will be able to tell from your boobs and when you realise you have to offer the other side to satisfy the baby.

Green poo is also a sign of illness like a cold, and teething from the saliva. Kelly mom will probably list all of them. good luck!

Gwlondon Wed 07-Nov-12 08:41:12

Sorry couldn't find a link of all the reasons for green poo, but I did find the kelly mom advice on oversupply:

kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

Gwlondon Wed 07-Nov-12 08:43:35

What I meant is that your boob will feel soft after your baby has fed and the baby might ask for the other side sometimes.

toomuchtooyoung Wed 07-Nov-12 09:06:09

Thanks gw. Have read kellymom and anything else I could find, lots of tiktoks replies on here too.

Hv is hard to see, and never seem to tell me anything particularly helpful. Also got a 2 yo who makes going to childrens centre v difficult as she's a bolter!

Always thought there was something not quite right with ds for various reasons just couldn't pinpoint any one thing and kept being told he's just a baby he'll grow out if it.

His overnight nappies were better, more yellow and normal but then another greeny dryish one after last feed. Hoping there's some evidence of change before 6 weeks!

toomuchtooyoung Thu 08-Nov-12 13:14:37

Still combination of normalish yellow bf nappies, but also dry green ones. Tried to see hv this morning but got right location but wrong day - they move around here.

Have been blockfeeding but doesn't seem to have made any difference yet. Gp says they're not concerned by the colour of nappies only if baby seems unwell. Still pooing with every feed but sometimes barely anything comes out. He's even windier than normal too

He will cluster feed 7-8pm then dh gives bottle of formula at 11, then feeds 1.30am and every 2-3 hours.

There's a bf clinic i can get to tomorrow but in the meantime please stop me worrying!

mawbroon Thu 08-Nov-12 13:26:25

toomuchtooyoung, you say you have always thought there is something not quite right with your ds. What else is happening?

toomuchtooyoung Thu 08-Nov-12 13:33:35

He's generally a grumpy baby, happy for about 10 mins then fussing leading to crying and screaming. Have a 2 yo dd so can't always be there for him. He's always been windy, but that's getting better now he's older and can wiggle about to get them out.

He's a rubbish napper so i seem to spend all my time either feeding him or trying to get him to sleep for his 30min cycle. Yes i use a sling during the day.

Hoping to get him checked for tt tomorrow but from yours and mawbroons links i don't think he is.

toomuchtooyoung Thu 08-Nov-12 17:34:20

Arrgh - sorry for all these posts, mostly to myself!!

Have just spoken to breastfeeding support line and she is of the opinion it might be a mild form of the d&v we had a few weeks ago. But our house had that 4 weeks ago, although ds and i didn't get it so guess dd and dh could have been carriers? There have been various colds since which she also thinks may have affected him.

Going to gp tomorrow no matter what. Need to know he's ok and how long this should go on for.

No yellow nappies at all today, mostly green, and not very liquidy content, just green flecks. He is still having wet wee nappies though.

Weekipper Fri 09-Nov-12 16:29:53

I used block feeding for a week which calmed my supply. But I did 2-4hr blocks. Also I'd express for a few moments before middle of night feed and first thing in the morning so DD could latch properly and not get milk shower! Can't advise on nappies though as if on occasion hers are green they're still wet.

CluelessMama Fri 09-Nov-12 16:59:39

Sorry I can't offer any advice, very new to this feeding malarky.
Just wondering, what is block feeding?!
OP - I hope your wee one is well and you get some reassuring guidance soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now