Talk

Advanced search

How do you know when a boob is empty?!

(8 Posts)
shouldIbecrossaboutthis Tue 06-Nov-12 22:49:25

Just that really. I'm a bit worried my baby isn't emptying them properly, they always seem to have milk in them when I give a little squeeze, even when they do that empty saggy feeling thingy.

tiktok Tue 06-Nov-12 22:59:01

No need to know, think, or worry about this smile

Any book or person who says 'you must empty the breast' is showing how little they know about normal bf.

Breasts are never empty - you are making milk all the time to some degree - it is normal for you to 'find' milk with a squeeze.

Your baby would make medical history if he/she really could empty your breasts smile

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Tue 06-Nov-12 23:04:47

So far this is how my breasfeeding experience has been:

ShouldIbecross posts question on mumsnet

Tiktok answers, says don't over think things, it sounds normal, relax a bit

----
Tiktok is always right. This is why they call you The Guru wink.

Ok. How about this one TikTok, can you really not overfed a BF baby? My baby was born on the 75th and now on the 96th. If he was formula fed they'd be going bat shit crazy, but because I'm Bfing they seem ok with it?

He also gets terrible trapped farts. Anything I can do to help beyond massage/leg cycle etc.

Can't you just come and live with me for a wee while TokTok, be much easier and save everyone else having to read my inane questions!

tiktok Tue 06-Nov-12 23:18:01

smile smile

You cannot overfeed a breastfed baby - truly. There is bags of research on this. Even humungous bf babies become proprtionate as they grow older. You can overfeed a ff baby, because the baby has less control over his intake....the concern is that the bottle-giver tries to get extra into the baby, and persists and persists. A bf baby just sucks and swallows less, in accordance with his appetite and needs.

I don't know how you would 'diagnose' a trapped fart. How can you see air in his lower gut? smile He could be uncomfortable or wriggly for a zillion reasons!

nomoreminibreaks Tue 06-Nov-12 23:22:25

ShouldIbecross I used to find DS' vibrating bouncy chair worked a treat for getting things moving. He used to struggle pooing in the morning and a few minutes on that would sort him out and get poo everywhere!

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Tue 06-Nov-12 23:26:47

I just kind of assumed, but you're right as ever! He just goes red, wriggles, groans and then farts!

thanks nomoreminibreaks, I will try a little on my leg jiggling see if that helps!

tiktok Tue 06-Nov-12 23:29:54

If he groans, reddens, wriggles and it comes out, it's not trapped any more (if it was ever trapped!). Babies do respond to bodily sensations in this way - unless they cry, you can be pretty sure they're not really suffering with it. He may be a bit uncomfortable for a little while, possibly, but mostly he's managing it fine from what you say.

shouldIbecrossaboutthis Tue 06-Nov-12 23:34:41

tiktok, you're just so bloody rational, really, come live with me, keep me sane!

He doesn't cry usually and when he does it's never for long. It's just sometimes he can be at it for 2 hours. Sometimes he stays asleep though, so you're right, it can't be too bad for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now