Talk

Advanced search

Help with infant gaviscon for an ebf baby please

(5 Posts)
Whatevertheweather Tue 06-Nov-12 21:25:06

DD3 is 12 weeks old and we have just been given infant gaviscon today for reflux. She is ebf so I have to make it up from the powder and use a syringe.

Just wondering - can I make up 2 syringes with it just before I go to bed to use after night
feeds? Can they just be kept on bedside table ready to use. Otherwise I'll be waiting for the water to cool down etc. Just want to make sure it'll be safe. I've been sterilising the syringes after each use and making it up as I go through the day. She's not too keen on it at all but she does seem to have been in less pain after the two feeds she's had it for so far so fingers crossed.

Oh also - do I give it to her immediately after her feed or wind her first then give it to her?

Anything else I need to know?

Hoophopes Tue 06-Nov-12 22:07:02

Hi - the way we did it and still do was to express some milk, put it into a bottle and gave it before his feed. This was due to having to mix feed in the early weeks so he would take a bottle. The ranitidine I had to give him I put in syringes and used a clean one each time before a feed. not sure about making up syringe before bed, as didn't do that. Oh I did find I destroyed lots of syringes by sterilising them, so hope you have a big supply (I ordered them cheaply online in the end!)

Whatevertheweather Wed 07-Nov-12 06:57:22

Thank you Hoop I did think expressed milk would be the easiest way but my pump had a bit missing when i got it out and I hadn't bothered to buy a new one. Knew I should have just bought one! I made it up as I went last night from some cooled boiled water I stored in sterilised bottle on the side.

Not sure how to manage when I'm out though!. It does seem to be helping though so definitely worth the effort.

mrswishywashy Wed 07-Nov-12 07:16:07

Can't really make it before hand as it thickens upon been mixed. I always just have bottle of pre boiled water and a few small containers to mix it up in. Usually with.babies I'm with they are eating more times than the recommended dosage so while out for a feed will skip it or taken the the bits out to make it is not too hard.

Hoophopes Wed 07-Nov-12 13:02:34

Glad you got through last night and it worked a bit. I found it took a while to work, but anything is better than constant sick I found!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now