Talk

Advanced search

How do I move from breast to bottle?

(4 Posts)
babybouncer Mon 05-Nov-12 21:34:58

DD is now 7 months and while I feel every proud of myself for ebf for this long, I do want more flexibility and freedom, so I want to move to mostly bottles. I have just started to enjoy bfing in the last few weeks when the amount of time it took up dropped hugely, but I have weddings and days away coming up and I'd like DH to be more involved and id love to be able to wear dresses and other non-bfing clothes and now I'm writing this it sounds so shallow... Is this a normal way to feel?

So far I've got DD having 2-3oz twice a day from a bottle substituting one new feed per week - is this enough at a time? The instructions say 7oz.

Also, given that I quite like bfing, is it possible to keep one feed? And if so, which one?

babybouncer Tue 06-Nov-12 13:54:20

I'm bumping this, mainly because I've been thinking about this all day and now can't think why I wanted to stop breastfeeding. Is it possible to have a day 'off' breastfeeding? My bridesmaids dress isn't easy on/off and I really can't feed in it and DH is taking baby away overnight in a fortnight - can I do bottles for those and still feed her the rest of the time?

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Tue 06-Nov-12 14:02:01

Awww grin I know what you mean, about 6/7m it's all easier than it has ever been with breastfeeding and seems weird to stop now when it's all got easier?

You can certainly have time away from the baby without stopping feeding. If it's a day out, she could have food and drinks of water while you're not there and BF when you are together. Or an occasional bottle of expressed milk or formula if that's what you prefer.

To be away overnight at this age I would suggest you consider expressing a few times to keep the supply ticking over and to keep your breasts comfy. Can you flop a breast out of the top of your dress? It would be a bit of a shame to stop feeding for a day or so of being a bridesmaid grin

A combination of both is certainly doable - your supply may drop a bit, but if the alternative is stopping then do give it a whirl, breastmilk is still really beneficial when they are getting other foods and drinks too.

babybouncer Tue 06-Nov-12 14:08:47

My bridesmaids dress is a fabulous high necked laced back affair, so getting to milk would be incredibly difficult, but the wedding doesn't start until the afternoon, and I might be able to do night feeds (although that does put a stopper on my wild night of drinking!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now