Talk

Advanced search

6 month old feeding/weaning

(6 Posts)
teacher123 Mon 05-Nov-12 18:43:02

Hi, I've posted about this before but am feeling irrationally anxious about it and am looking for some reassurance. DS started weaning at 24 weeks, is now 28 weeks. He is now eating 3 good meals a day, and I am using lots of formula and yoghurt in them etc. His bf consumption has gone down massively, instead of having feeds every 1 1/2 to 2 hours, he's now feeding at around 7, 11, 3 and 6 and possibly once or twice in the night. Each feed is now only a matter of minutes. He is doing plenty of dirty and wet nappies, sleeping reasonably well and is gaining weight appropriately. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? I had read so many things about food being for fun until they are one but he is not really interested in milk anymore. He is also refusing to take a bottle, I am keen to wean him onto formula but he is not having any of it. Any experience or reassurance greatly appreciated!

babybouncer Mon 05-Nov-12 21:12:23

I'm so glad you've posted this - DD's milk feeds have also dropped hugely. She is a little older - 7 months - but her feeds dropped from 15-30 mins every 3 hours to just one side for 5 minutes about the times you've said.

We're doing blw and there's definitely food going in, but I can't believe it's a huge amount. I have to just believe that it is all fine as she is gaining weight and is happy in herself!

CarterGirl Tue 06-Nov-12 21:05:26

I'm glad you've posted too. Mine is older still- just turned 8 months- and I've been fretting thinking about this too..
DS eats quite well - I think?! But like both of you I've heard that the bulk of their calories until one should be milk. And he bf's less than before he was weaned (at 6 months) - much as you both describe, so short-ish feeds around 7.30, 9.30, 2.00, 4.00 and 7.00 (with one night feed). So I can't see how he is still getting the bulk of his calories from milk. I don't give him any formula (not because I have any issues with it- he has been mixed fed in the past but has gone through a 'no bottles' phase lately) and I just don't know if the amount of food he eats is making up the shortfall in milk.. Am not doing BLW as he would literally be living on air if so as anything he holds gets gnawed for a few seconds then dropped regally from his hands as he peers over the chair to see where it lands..
I do give him things to hold though, and in the meantime spoon feed him so I know he's getting something..
Anyway, apologies for the stream of consciousness- I basically agree with you both and also wonder about supply at the moment- do we just trust that it's enough? My breasts hardly ever feel 'full' and in fact as my periods have also just re-started and I've finally lost some weight they also feel quite 'flat' - in all sense of the word. Are they still working?! (I haven't pumped so can't really tell what output is like)
Ironically I thought I'd worry less when DS was weaned.. smile

teacher123 Wed 07-Nov-12 09:14:56

Thank goodness it's not just me! I also thought the worries would be over when I weaned and that I would be able to seamlessly put him onto formula and he'd love the bottle straight away and I would be able to send DH to feed him in the night etc etc... My current strategy is the cup. I don't think he's ever going to really like the bottle, have tried lots of different types and he's just not having any of it. The books say that they should be having 20oz of milk per day, plus food. Therefore I am going to get it in him by stealth. My aim is to have stopped breastfeeding by Christmas, but I can't until he is consistently having formula. The last couple of days he hasn't screamed when I've given it to him in a cup so am hoping it's progress!

swanthingafteranother Wed 07-Nov-12 09:34:53

Just to say (my children are much much older so it's a long time ago) the 20 oz can include the formula or milk products (yoghurt, cheese sauce, rice pudding, cereal with milk) they are having in other foods. It sounds like he is taking a perfectly balanced amount of solids and milk feeds. If he is gaining weight, and is happy, and not coming down with loads of infections with might indicate iron deficiency, how can you be going wrong? bfng at this stage is a joy, incredibly fast and simple, very useful if they are ever ill with d & v, instant snack if you are ever out and about. You don't need to force milk on him, if he needs it, he will ask for more milk feeds from you.
You could always try feeding him a bit less stodge if you fear he is replacing too many milk feeds, but I don't see why milk from a bottle is any more efficient than the milk you are producing for him already.
Be confident!

swanthingafteranother Wed 07-Nov-12 09:41:38

Also the no of feeds decreasing is completely familiar. It may change again, he may up his feeds, but he is able to regulate what he gets, often wanting more night feeds might not only be a sign of comfort feeding but because he is upping production again, for the daytime. Your baby is taking five or six feeds of milk a day, how can that be too little? Bfng is much more efficient at the six month mark, there may not be visible signs of production, also the baby is interested in loads of other things, and feeds in a different way. Feeds at that age took so much less time, as you say, only five minutes, compared to 20/I hr in early days. He is very efficient at feeding now, and you are very efficient at producing the milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now