Talk

Advanced search

Nausea when breastfeeding

(8 Posts)
Illustrated Sun 04-Nov-12 22:42:25

Ive been breastfeeding for 3 months now and this nausea is just getting worse. Ive not read anything about it anywhere so I'm not sure how common it is. Has anyone had this before or does anyone know why it happens and what could help?

gail734 Sun 04-Nov-12 23:07:22

I've been breastfeeding for four months and occasionally felt nauseous for about the first three, but only while actually feeding. I think you're very hormonal when breastfeeding, which people don't seem to make much of. I also felt that it might be related to becoming slightly dehydrated. After all, the baby is literally sucking all of the fluid out of you. I started leaving bottles of water around the spots in which I usually breastfeed, and tried to remember to drink while feeding. As I said, this gradually went away for me after three months, so hopefully that's good news for you! Try upping your water consumption and see if that improves it. Also eat regularly.

Welovecouscous Sun 04-Nov-12 23:13:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gail734 Mon 05-Nov-12 14:12:30

Hmm... good point about possible anaemia. I was left very anaemic after childbirth, but I never put the two together - the nausea and the anaemia.

Welovecouscous Mon 05-Nov-12 14:14:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thezoobmeister Mon 05-Nov-12 20:23:28

When do you feel nauseous - just during feeds, or generally all the time?

blonderthanred Sat 10-Nov-12 17:36:01

Hi, I've just been googling this as I have been having the same thing. Apparently it's to do with the letdown hormone and is similar to morning sickness, so having a drink on hand and a carby snack is advised.

Quite relieved as I thought it was just me and it's been getting me down.

from Kellymom website

RonettePulaski Sat 10-Nov-12 17:46:56

Ugh unused to get an awful wave of nausea with the let down. I remember reading something on here about it previously. I'll have a look for it.....

It didn't last forever with me, only the first few weeks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now