Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to stop doing his ironing?

(11 Posts)
lancs22 Sat 03-Nov-12 19:07:47

I was a SAHM with 3 school aged children. Now I have a newborn aswell. She is 6 weeks old and it was a cscection so for the 1st couple of weeks housework/ironing etc was not a priority.
Now I am up and running but washing and ironing is really getting to me. DH didn't even iron 1 thing in those early days. (did precious little else either)
AIBU to say that he can do his own washing/ironing in future?
Plus to tell him that he needs to do more in house at weekends.
For example today I did all the childcare for newborn dd etc plus washing ironing, loading dishwasher etc and feeding everyone.
He managed to play computer games with older dc, (that's fine) watch grand prix and other stuff and play on computer on his own.

Nevercan Sat 03-Nov-12 19:09:30

Sounds like he definitely needs to help out in some way - either make dinner or iron - something would be good lol

3littlefrogs Sat 03-Nov-12 19:11:02

I would say he has time to do the ironing, shopping and a bit of cooking too.

lancs22 Sat 03-Nov-12 19:20:53

Oops wrong section!

RedZombie Sat 03-Nov-12 19:24:53

I don't iron anything. If DH wants shirts ironing he does them himself. DCs don't care about creased clothes and neither do I.

Wash, dry it, put it away. Try it for a week, you'll never look back.

VerySmallSqueak Sat 03-Nov-12 19:27:42

I'm amazed you've made it so long still doing it with 3 DC's already and no help from dh.

Of course you should stop doing his ironing.
Stop doing any ironing unless it's desperately needed.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sat 03-Nov-12 19:51:12

Yep lancs22, unless you're pounding creases out of his clothes with your breasts, you're in the wrong forum! wink

narmada Sat 03-Nov-12 21:18:35

you might be in the wrong forum but.... oh good grief, yes: he needs to do his own washing and ironing. And also half of all household/ childcare stuff outside of his work hours.

Leave him with the 4 DCs for a while, go lock yourself in a room with a big pile of DVDs for a couple of hours, and see what happens grin. These menchildren need a rocket up the ass sometimes smile

lancs22 Sat 03-Nov-12 21:22:08

Obviously have breastfeeding on the brain. dd having a growth spurt!

Loislane78 Sat 03-Nov-12 21:48:13

God yeah - just stop!

Not suggesting you buy a new wardrobe for him but if he has a job req. ironed shirts either he does them himself or buy non-iron ones. You have enough on, seriously. I wouldn't even make it an issue, just next time he asks or whatever just say, oh I haven't had time and leave it at that. Then gradually ask him to do other stuff and wean yourself off doing things. You could also 'have a chat' about him helping more - depends how receptive you think he'll be.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 04-Nov-12 10:56:51

Have you tried offering 2 alternatives like "would you like to do the ironing or cook the dinner?"

And no yanbu

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now