Talk

Advanced search

If it doesn't hurt and dcis getting milk...

(11 Posts)
WhoahThereCrazyHorse Sat 03-Nov-12 10:03:34

Is that ok? My ds's latch doesn't look anything like it should do, and although I re-latch him when it looks like he's literally just sucking the end of the nipple, he never has as much in his gob as he should do. However, it doesn't hurt - on fact I can barely feel he's there at all - he's feeding every 2-3 hours and having loads of wet and dirty nappies. So is this ok, or should I be trying to sort him out so his latch is as it should be?

WhoahThereCrazyHorse Sat 03-Nov-12 10:05:03

Sorry, in fact not on fact

changeforthebetter Sat 03-Nov-12 10:07:36

Sounds OK. Boobs and babies mouths do vary. If he is contented between feeds and putting on weight then sounds OK. If he were actually nipple feeding you would be in agony <toe-curlingly painful memories> If all the other things are OK and he is gaining weight then I would be relaxed.

Welovecouscous Sat 03-Nov-12 12:23:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

changeforthebetter Sat 03-Nov-12 13:23:39

This is a good guide from a reliable source to cues on feeding. My (otherwise superb) MW assured my DD2's latch was "fine". My nipples began bleeding shortly thereafter hmm Looks can be deceiving.

Good luck and congrats on your new baby smile

changeforthebetter Sat 03-Nov-12 13:24:34

No idea why I put "cues" on feeding FFS. Am dosed up to the eyeballs on cold meds!! blush

mawbroon Sat 03-Nov-12 14:20:10

How old?

For the first couple of weeks, the milk supply is hormone driven. After that it becomes supply and demand, or more like demand and supply. So if the baby is very new, you might be "getting away with it" as it were for the first couple of weeks and there is the possibility that you run into probs later on if the latch is not effective.

Or it might be just fine.

WhoahThereCrazyHorse Sat 03-Nov-12 19:45:22

Thanks for the responses. Mawbroon he's 2 weeks and a couple of days, and actually in the last 2 days my milk supply has gone pretty crazy which I thought was in response to demand feeding. Do you think that timescale means we'll be ok?

changeforthebetter Sun 04-Nov-12 16:42:10

When you say your milk supply has gone "crazy" - do you mean your boobs are very full? In that case, he may not be feeding correctly and therefore not draining the breast fully and you could end up with blocked ducts or mastitis.

WhoahThereCrazyHorse Mon 05-Nov-12 09:44:15

Hi change - I just seem to have loads of milk and its shooting out when I start feeding. It's ok though, once the initial rush is over I just mop us both down and he can settle and have a good feed, he is draining each breast when he feeds. Although he seems to get on much better with the let side than the right - is that normal ?

thezoobmeister Mon 05-Nov-12 20:08:04

OP I think you are doing fine! All the signs are good and I can't see any reason at all to worry at this point.

Lots of babies (inc mine!) have a side preference. Latch might not look textbook but it is effective which is all that counts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now