Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best formula for reflux?

(9 Posts)
imustbepatient Fri 02-Nov-12 22:50:07

I've had to start topping up 6 day old DD on formula whilst trying to resolve various breast feeding issues (a saga in need of its own thread but that's another story!). However, despite DD clearly being delighted at decent quantities of formula for the first day or so, she has now started bringing up most of a feed, probably 2 times out of every three.

She was already a bit of a vomity baby whilst just being breast fed but is worse now. Suspect reflux maybe to blame and will take her to the doctor on Monday, but for over the weekend does anyone have recommendations for a formula which is best for reflux? And best bottles / teats?

Thank you!

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 03-Nov-12 08:09:15

Has she been checked for tongue tie imust?

imustbepatient Sat 03-Nov-12 08:44:50

Hi JJJ thanks for your post - funnily enough that is what I think she may have based on some of the threads I was reading yesterday and I think that is the main cause of our breast feeding issues.

I'm contacting a local lactation consultant to get her checked but meantime need to find a formula which will stay down!

I'm expressing as much as I can and she clearly prefers and copes better with that milk, but due to a breast reduction years ago I can't express (or produce generally) enough for full supply so formula is going to be needed to some extent.

If anyone has found one type of formula to be better than others for a refluxy / vomity baby I'd really appreciate the recommendation.

Havingkitties Sat 03-Nov-12 12:52:51

Most of the formula company's have 'stay down' milks or antireflux type milks -I have seen them in boots and some of the supermarkets from aptamil and SMA. These are thicker than normal milks, some thicken on contact with the acid in the baby's stomach making it less likely for the milk to come back up again. They are probably all quite similar no matter what brand you choose, so maybe just pop along and read the back of the box and see which you would prefer to try?
I have to say though ultimately the best and most simple thing you can do for suspected reflux is feeding little and often, sitting your baby upright after feeds for around 20-30mins and raising the head of the bed (you can put a towel under the mattress). This can normally settle mild to moderate reflux and it won't last forever, soon your babies oesophageal sphincter will tighten up.
If your still having trouble and its affecting numerous changes of clothes, your babies in a lot of pain or there is weight loss/inadequate gain then you always see your gp, sometimes some baby gaviscon added to expressed milk or formula can work a treat and is relatively harmless.

pommedechocolat Sat 03-Nov-12 14:04:56

I have/had a refluxer (lots better at 8 months, it's not forever) although she wouldnt have a bottle so have no real idea about formula. I would imagine any of them are as good as each other. HOWEVER I have heard that domperidone is good for ff reflux babies as it helps empty the tummy quickly (bm digests quicker than formula in babies).

Good luck.

imustbepatient Sat 03-Nov-12 20:38:56

Thanks very much everyone. We are doing the little and often thing (she is not amused at the 'little' aspect!) and have had a better day today. Fingers crossed it is not just a one-off. I've bought the SMA stay down formula too, which we'll start on tomorrow if things deteriorate again.

Sigh, I thought it was just the breast feeding we would struggle with, not formula as well!

messtins Sun 04-Nov-12 14:38:49

Can I recommend a couple of sources of info? Firstly the Little Refluxers support site and also a book called a Colic Solved by Dr Bryan Vartebedian. More info on TT and the link to reflux on the Analytical Armadillo blog.
If things are not settling and particularly if worse on formula you need to read up on cow's milk protein intolerance (not lactose) which is a common underlying cause.
PM me if I can help, I have much bitter experience...

pommedechocolat Sun 04-Nov-12 22:02:51

God, yy to both those recommendations. The people on little refluxers who replied within minutes to my messages saved my sanity.

imustbepatient Mon 05-Nov-12 08:53:38

Thanks very much messtins I will look up those links! Very kind thank you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now