Talk

Advanced search

Breast feeding a 13 month old

(7 Posts)
icravecheese Fri 02-Nov-12 19:27:22

I still breast feed DD first thing in the morning and last thing at night. She then drinks water from a tommee tippee through the day (as much as I can get her to take- various each day).
Am I giving her enough fluids? She has wet nappies but they're not massively wet (not like when I was BF every other hour!) and in the morning after 12 hrs sleep they look like they've had 2 maybe 3 wee's in them....so not loads.
She won't take milk from any other source, only the breast, and happily drinks water from a beaker but not milk (tried it, won't even entertain it!).
Just curious to know how much milk other people's babies take at 13 months? I never had this problem with my first 2 babies as they both took bottles from around 9 months of age and guzzled milk for england from those!

BertieBotts Fri 02-Nov-12 21:52:13

That sounds fine to me - I think a lot of babies are down to two milk feeds by a year.

If she drinks water freely in the day she won't be dehydrated. DS was always like that with night nappies too - in fact he was reliably dry at night before he ever was in the day!

icravecheese Sat 03-Nov-12 08:07:35

fab, thanks Bertie, will keep going as we are then.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 03-Nov-12 08:14:12

Agree with bertie. Bottles aren't recommended after 12 months anyway and if you had stopped bfing she would be on 300mls of cows milk per day, so her main fluid would still be water.

All sounds perfectly fine to me smile.

icravecheese Sat 03-Nov-12 13:41:32

Fab! Thankyou! she also gets fluid through her meals - weetabix for breakfast, which seems to soak up a huge amount of milk before its edible, plus cheesy sauces / gravy etc.

HelenofSparta Sat 03-Nov-12 13:45:07

I bf both my dds for 13 months and struggled to get them to drink much from cups when I stopped. I bought every single different type of cup/bottle going to try and encourage them to drink. It did not work on either straight away, but they got there eventually. Neither are big drinkers still, bu they are healthy. As you said, milk in cereal, rice pudding, white sauce and I did try v dilute juice which sometimes helped...

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 03-Nov-12 16:57:14

Helen I really don't think that the OP doesn't need to stress too much about milk in food as DD is still bf and she does drink water, so seems to be getting enough fluids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now