Talk

Advanced search

Do I need special BF tops?

(9 Posts)
IWillOnlyEatBeans Fri 02-Nov-12 18:31:33

I am hoping to BF DS2.

Do I need to invest in some special BF tops (from JoJoMamanBebe etc)? Or can I get away with normal clothes?

I can't remember what I did with DS1!

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Fri 02-Nov-12 18:35:55

I found a couple of BFing vests helpful in the early days of sore engorged breasts.

Otherwise cheapo vest under normal top: top goes up, vest goes down, Bob's yer uncle.

The BFing tops I was given were naff at best, badly designed and useless at worst. And too mumsy for me!

EauRouge Fri 02-Nov-12 18:36:03

Nope, they are by no means essential. Much cheaper to buy some stretchy vests (I like M&S ones, I did get Primark ones but they shrank in the wash) and this site is ace for finding BF friendly clothes.

StarlightMcKenzie Fri 02-Nov-12 18:37:11

No. They're worse than useless usually, fiddling about with complex layers and hidden holes

gwenniebee Fri 02-Nov-12 18:39:14

I have a few, but also bf vests from mothercare (1 black, 1 white) and do as described above.

What I have just bought, and love love love, is a bf dress from frugi. Dresses I find you can't just hoik up so if you want to wear one, it needs to have access!

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Fri 02-Nov-12 18:40:06

Not at all, I fed DS for 2 yrs and never bought any. I did buy plenty of other unnecessary crap though, I'm no angel

I generally found a loose top, with a cardi over meant you could stick the baby under the top and the cardi covers the rolls of flab at the sides. Baby is covering the breast from the front so very discreet once you have had a bit of practice.

The BF tops I looked at all seemed to have a slot to plop the breast out of, which seemed a lot more likely to cause flashing to me! But I wasn't too bothered about people seeing a bit of a breast, I just didn't want to get my flab out grin

TheCountessOlenska Fri 02-Nov-12 18:43:19

Yes I like to wear long vest underneath to pull down under a looser top - then your middle is never exposed.

I could never wear a dress though - so maybe a special bf dress as gwennie suggests would be useful? Actually by the time I was bfing a two year old I was beyond caring and just hoiked my dress up but I didn't do it in public by that stage, it was only DH and DM treated to that sight!

IWillOnlyEatBeans Fri 02-Nov-12 18:50:24

Thanks! I suspected that they might be a bit fiddly and they definitely were not my style! I'll invest in a couple of vests and see how we get on smile

TheDuckSaysMoo Fri 02-Nov-12 19:11:17

H&M have cheap bf tops if you do fancy getting one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now