Talk

Advanced search

Touching babies head?

(10 Posts)
ThePinkNinja Fri 02-Nov-12 14:11:27

Bf ds1 until he self weaned and now bf ds2 (6weeks old). Have read never touch babies head while feeding but never saw why.... or is this a lie?
Please someone explain this to me smile
I always find I want to cuddle him and touch him and communicate smile
Thanks x

blueberryboybait Fri 02-Nov-12 14:14:23

I was told not to hold their head as their instinct it to push back against anything pressing on the back of their head so could stop them latching properly. Not reason not to touch and communicate with him, I used to stroke DD's face, snuggle her close and read to her whilst feeding from when she was tiny.

EleanorHandbasket Fri 02-Nov-12 14:15:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BedHog Fri 02-Nov-12 14:17:34

I stroke the back of DD's head while she's feeding. confused. I suppose you wouldn't want to hold the head so they can't pull away if there's a fast letdown or they start gagging or something?

ThePinkNinja Fri 02-Nov-12 14:17:52

I have never let it stop me (shouldve made that clear ) but have always worried I was breaking the rules or not doing it how I'm supposed to? smile

crikeybadger Fri 02-Nov-12 15:10:50

I think stroking the head is fine, but most books will say not to push on the back of the head when you are latching them on. They don't like having their head pushed in to their food (either do I!) and it tends to push their head down so that the chin is restricted.

Can you remember where you read this nugget?

AngelDog Fri 02-Nov-12 15:24:58

I've heard it too - but also that some mothers instinctively stroke baby's head when feeding (I do). AFAIK stroking is okay, pushing isn't.

ThePinkNinja Fri 02-Nov-12 15:45:15

Unfortunately I can't .... It was during the early days of no sleep with a colic/ refluxy ds1....

RightUpMyRue Fri 02-Nov-12 15:53:12

When positioning him to latch him to the breast it's advisable not to hold his head, he needs to tilt his head back to enable him to take a large mouthful of breast and to get the nipple to the back of his throat and to take lovely big gulps of milk. Hold his neck and shoulders instead.

You can stroke his head and sniff it and pick the cradle cap snuggle him all you like smile

IShallCallYouSquishy Fri 02-Nov-12 17:18:14

I'm always stroking my DD's head when feeding her, stroking her gorgeous chubby cheeks and picking waxy bits from her ears. She's just too delicious not to touch grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now