Talk

Advanced search

Storing breastmilk safely from bottle to bag

(5 Posts)
crystalmummy Fri 02-Nov-12 09:55:50

Hello,

This may be a stupid question but yesterday and day before started to express some milk to freeze. I expressed straight to a bottle and put in the fridge. Now i have transferred that milk to frozen breast milk bag.

However as i was transferring it - i put the top half of the bottle in the bag and let it pour in, it occurred to me that the outside of the top half of the bottle had been in the fridge, have i contaminated this breastmilk now? Is it unsafe to defrost and give to my baby.

I do tend to worry about the slightest things but he is only 6 weeks old so i don't want to make him sick (or throw away that valuable breast milk!!!).

If any of you could tell me if this is safe/unsafe i would appreciate it and any suggestions to transfer milk from bottle to bag gratefully received.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 02-Nov-12 12:56:52

I would think its all perfectly safesmile

crystalmummy Fri 02-Nov-12 13:03:44

Thank you

ZuleikaD Fri 02-Nov-12 17:18:46

It's all fine.

AnitaBlake Fri 02-Nov-12 18:23:16

I'm sure it'll be fine. Breastmilk isn't sterile as such but its much harder to contaminate than formula and you really can tie yourself up in knots about keeping things sterile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now