I wouldn't go cold turkey as you may become engorged and it could result in a block which could become infected. It will also be quite uncomfortable for you. I know when my LO doesn't feed during the night (a very rare thing!) my boobs want to explode and I HAVE to feed him. Having said that, my sister decided to give up BF after 3 weeks of trying and she just stopped with no probs at all. I, personally, wouldn't do it.
I went cold turkey with dd1 5 years ago when she was 10wo. It certainly wasn't pleasant but I was finding feeding so painful that the engorgement pain was preferable.
IIRC the pain peaked on day 2 and was pretty much gone by day 4 so not too long. Though honestly it was pretty miserable and I wouldn't recommend it. I remember sobbing when dd needing picking up as it was so painful to hold her to me. I did resist the temptation to express as that would have prolonged it. I was lucky I didn't get any blocked ducts etc.
Currently b/f dd3 who is nearly 12 weeks and I intend to feed her exclusively until about 5 months then slowly cut down in preparation for returning to work.
Thanks everyone. I'm struggling to get some info on this to be honest. Everything is obviously geared towards continuing to bf. But it's just not working for me, and didn't with my first. Trouble is, I can't remember how I transitioned to bottle with my first!