Talk

Advanced search

One boob or two?

(5 Posts)
OctoberOctober Fri 02-Nov-12 02:42:44

do you usually offer one boob or two at each feed? mw suggested i went with two but i was preferring one for the sake of my battered nipples. DS is 2 weeks.

YorkshireRose12 Fri 02-Nov-12 04:40:38

I think the advice is to offer the second side once your DS has come off the first side by himself and "finished" it (ie has let go of the boob himself rather than just slipping off, coming off because he needs a burp etc), and it's up to him whether he takes a second boob or not. This is what I've done with my DS and it's worked for us. Having said that, if your DS does seem satisfied after one, is starting to gain weight nicely (normal for babies to dip up to 10% of birth weight in the 10-14 days after birth as long as they then start gaining again), is having plenty of wet and dirty nappies and is bright and alert when awake (which will probably only be for quite short period at 2 weeks old) then it sounds like you're doing fine as you are.

What is the problem with your nipples - other than soreness is there any cracking/bleeding? I had awful nipple trauma with my DS so may be able to offer some advice if you can describe the pain (what it feels like, when it happens, how long it lasts) and what state your nipples are in.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 02-Nov-12 08:16:21

YY - if your nipples are sore, the problem is likely to be latch. Fix that, and the pain goes away.

(Also, wet wound healing can help in the interim, to let them heal.)

PurplePidjin Fri 02-Nov-12 08:23:06

Advice from very very very pro bf midwives in my area is to feed from one side per feed (this was last week at the antenatal bf class they offer)

If baby's still hungry, switch sides.

Are you smothered in Lansinoh? And is there a bf group locally so someone can check your latch/offer moral support?

OctoberOctober Fri 02-Nov-12 14:38:43

I've started to offer the second one now to ensure he is sated, asmuch as they ever are!

i think the soreness was from poor latch to begin with and the general shock of breastfeeding. i am smothering on the lansinoh as precaution but haven't had to endure cracking or bleeding thankfully.

Was also hoping that i would be able to express from the other boob after feeding from one (not every time) but i'm not quite sure when i'm going to be able to fit that in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now