Talk

Advanced search

How bad are decongestants really?

(5 Posts)
YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Thu 01-Nov-12 09:25:29

DD2 is 16 months and still a bit of a milk monster. I know that decongestants are bad for supply and therefore not recommended for nursing mothers. I also know that, unlike most things, it seems to have more impact the longer you have been feeding.

I have managed four years of bf and pregnancy without them across the two DC but this cold is really beating me. I am in so much pain across my sinuses and none of the natural options are touching it.

Does anyone know just how likely I am to have a problem if I take a dose or two. TBH I feel so bad I would accept the end of bf if that did happen, but I can't really get a sense of my magnitude of risk from any of the stuff I have found online.

IWipeArses Thu 01-Nov-12 09:31:45

I would love to hear they're not so bad, my sinuses are killing me right now. I think it's one of those things that varies a lot between women.

I'm relying on paracetamol-only generic lemsip and lockets. Going to add some ibuprofen in today, as think taking some swelling out of my head might help.

unclefluffy Thu 01-Nov-12 09:38:22

I took decongestants once my eldest was down to two feeds a day. She started nursery and brought a series of hellish colds home with her! I didn't have a supply problem, but of course that's no guarantee. I stopped feeding at 15 months (my choice, but DD wasn't tooooo upset about it) so I don't really have experience with what you're thinking of.

EauRouge Thu 01-Nov-12 09:56:59

Decongestants work by drying up bodily fluids- mucus and milk. Ibuprofen might help if you haven't already tried it. How about calling the BFN drugs in breastmilk line for a chat? They might be able to recommend something else.

cheesesavory Thu 01-Nov-12 12:51:40

I took them out of desperation when I had sinusitis. DS was 18m and down to 2 feeds a day, and it pretty much finished it off.

Have you been to the docs? Anti-bs was the only thing that worked for me in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now