Talk

Advanced search

Mastitis?

(14 Posts)
fluffacloud Thu 01-Nov-12 05:18:47

Morning MN'ers

I have woken up this morning feeling like my right breast has been attacked with a baseball bat!

I will be calling the Docs as soon as they open, but in the meantime, does anyone have any tips for relieving the pain?

I've fed DD2 twice from the painful side - against my better judgement because it hurts like hell.

Thanks smile

IcouldstillbeJoseph Thu 01-Nov-12 05:26:45

Paracetamol and ibruprofen taken at the same time. Combined with hot & cold flannels to the breast.
You did exactly the right thing by feeding from the affected side first.
Do you feel flu-like?

fluffacloud Thu 01-Nov-12 05:37:10

No flu symptoms - for which I am thankful.

I've just taken some tablets, which I hope will kick in soon.

The treatment for this is bloody awful! Painful feeding and hot and cold flannels, it's medieval grin

Thanks IcouldstillbeJoseph I shall go and find some flannels. Fingers crossed.

rumbelina Thu 01-Nov-12 06:09:20

Flannels, long showers on the breast if possible. Good luck!

rumbelina Thu 01-Nov-12 06:11:37

For me the fluey symptoms came after a day or two but hopefully you'll avoid by going to the doc's today. I didn't realise I had mastitis - don't think I knew it existed at that point.

JollyJackOLantern Thu 01-Nov-12 06:15:55

Also, express, express, express. If you are hand expressing don't do it too hard or you can make the infection worse. You need to get rid of the milk that is pooling to make the blockage and you sore.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Thu 01-Nov-12 07:13:35

It might be worth delaying your trip to the docs as many will not prescribe until you are symptomatic of active infection - temp, chills, feeling like shit etc.
You can commonly have the start of mastitis, as you describe, but not all cases progress to infection. Good luck with the medieval stuff - mastitis is vile. Get well soon.

HelloBear Thu 01-Nov-12 08:25:10

Sorry to contradict Joseph but dint delay! Try to see a dympathetic doc who can prescribe antibiotics for you to have if needs be. It's Friday tomorrow and you do NOT want to find yourself at the weekend with a full blown infection (trust me I know!).

The other thing torture you can try is if you can work out where the block is get your dc to feed so that their chin is in line with it, they will then do the masarging for you, iyswum. It can involve some interesting positions I ended up looking like I was playing twister with my DD smile

noodleone Thu 01-Nov-12 08:31:31

Is there any redness, either as a patch or a line? Does it feel like a hard knot? Glad you are not feeling flu-ey with it

fluffacloud Thu 01-Nov-12 10:11:15

Thanks all!

I do have some red streaks near to where the pain radiates from, I thought that they were from my bra but I threw that off hours ago!

It's still sore to feed and to make things awkward DD2 is fussing and biting when being fed sad

I have a Doc appointment shortly, I'm sure that they'll give me some sort of wonder drug <hopeful>

fluffacloud Thu 01-Nov-12 11:42:13

No wonder drug, just antibiotics. No advice either, other than call your Midwife.

I haven't seen my MW for 6 months or so but I'll give my HV a call.

Thanks again for your support smile

JollyJackOLantern Thu 01-Nov-12 11:49:43

Antibiotics are what you need. And ibuprofen too. Hope it clears up soon.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Fri 02-Nov-12 21:27:16

How are you feeling now OP?

fluffacloud Fri 02-Nov-12 23:05:22

I've been feeling very tired and a little sore but I think I've got off quite lightly really.

DD2 has been force-fed at every opportunity, I think that's helped. That and the billion mg's of antibiotics I'm taking....

I called my HV who was very sympatheticand gave me all the advice that I was given on here - you really are a clever bunch grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now