Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding, it's worth persevering if you can IMHO

(3 Posts)
ThinkAboutItTomorrow Wed 31-Oct-12 11:31:33

I struggled so much with breastfeeding but am so glad i didn't stop.

Disclaimer: this is not meant as a smug breastfeeding post. I have no right to be smug (and like to think i wouldn't be anyway!) I tried to stop but my daughter had other ideas and refused a bottle. I had a horrible start to bf, tt, thrush, blocked ducts and nipples so sore chunks were falling off. I dreaded each feed and often ended in tears. I decided it was idiotic to keep going and switched to formula. Ha! No such luck, dd just wasn't having any of it and i was too knackered to struggle. Even with the pain breastfeeding was the lesser evil.

Anyway, fast forward to now and feeding is a breeze. No pain, nipples back to normal etc. the big benefit i hadn't read much about though is the analgesic property of breastmilk. My daughter is teething and a little ball of misery at times. Especially when she's tired but can't sleep for sore gums. She spits out calpol and gel only helps for about 5 mins but a good feed, lots of suckling etc and she is comforted and able to sleep.

I am SO glad I didn't/couldn't stop breastfeeding at 8 weeks. If i didn't have this way of comforting her it would be horrible. Maybe bottles work the same, but the studies on breastmilk as analgesic make me think they probably don't.

So, i thought i would post a tale of encouragement, god knows i could have done with one a couple of months ago!

P.s. any other teething tips welcome though!

worldgonecrazy Wed 31-Oct-12 11:44:26

Well done for keeping going, and thanks for sharing, it may encourage others to continue through the horrible first weeks.

And there's nothing wrong with feeling a bit smug for getting through those problems either! You should be very proud of yourself and thankful that you had the support to get through it.

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 31-Oct-12 12:45:39

I second that! Eight weeks of hell here too, and now it's brilliant! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now