Talk

Advanced search

Cows milk issues when introducing at 13 months

(4 Posts)
chocciechip Tue 30-Oct-12 08:38:09

DD has been BF exclusively up until 6 months, and then I occasionally gave her formula when we started solids, only if we were out and about. We dropped the afternoon feed a while ago and for the last 3 months or so she has been on solids, two BFs (morning and night), and water.

DD doesn't eat meat (only fish), so we used to make up her porridge with formula to make up for iron.

We decided to introduce cows milk at 13 months, last week, so stopped the formula in her porridge and replaced that with cows milk, and we switched her morning feed for 100ml in a sippy cup.

I had previously tried giving her milk with meals or occasionally mid-afternoon, and she has always refused. We think the morning works because she wakes up thirsty and gulps it down. I don';t think she'll drink cows milk at any other time.

Her appetite for ALL her meals has now decreased, including lunch and evening meals, and she is fussy and cranky at the meal table now (used to be a really good eater). Her poos have lightened considerably in colour. This morning she refused her porridge completely and when I moved the spoon close to her mouth she projectile vomited her milk from earlier in the morning.

She does not seem unwell in any other respect and right now is very happy playing around my feet.

Is this the cows milk? DH noted we're suddenly giving her about 200ml just at breakfast (her morning sippy cup and her porridge).

What should I do?

What is your advice? If we stick with formula in her porridge or her feed, which 'growing up milk' would you recommend because the one DH brought home was VANILLA flavoured which seems a ploy to hook kids on sweet things.

Ruthchan Tue 30-Oct-12 19:29:33

It really sounds as though she is intolerant to lactose.
The lightening of her poo colour, the vomiting and indeed her natural refusal to drink milk tally with the usual symptoms. Drinking it probably gives her painful stomach cramps.

I understand why you want to introduce milk rather than some alternatives.
In which case, you could try either lactose-free milk, which you can buy at health food shops and at some good supermarkets.
Or alternatively, you could give her soya milk, rice milk, almond milk etc. Those alternatives are freely available, contain no lactose and are usually fortified with added calcium and iron etc. (It is generally advised to alternate between these alternative forms of milk, rather than stick with only one all the time.)

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 30-Oct-12 21:11:11

Are you bfing at all now choccie. If so, I'd just stop giving her the cows milk as agree it does sound like she is lactose intolerant.

If you have stopped, don't worry too much. Have a look at calcium rich foods.

vodkaanddietirnbru Wed 31-Oct-12 10:18:01

it is unlikely to be lactose intolerance as breastmilk is full of lactose. It could however be an intolerance to cows milk protein. You could try using soya/oat milk with cereal or if she has been ok with the formula then continue using the one that suits her - no need to switch to a growing up milk though especially if it is flavoured. I would avoid rice milk as it isnt recommended under the age of 4½years due to arsenic levels.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now