Talk

Advanced search

Can bf babies put on too much weight?

(9 Posts)
WhoahThereCrazyHorse Tue 30-Oct-12 06:41:07

Ds was weighed yesterday which was day 10, and had more than made up his 8% weight loss - on fact he'd put on 11oz!

What weekly gain is normal for bf babies, and can they put on too much?!

WhoahThereCrazyHorse Tue 30-Oct-12 06:42:40

in fact

JollyJackOLantern Tue 30-Oct-12 06:50:19

Catching up, or catching down is normal in the early days. Ds was born with height and weight both 50th centile.

He went up to 75th in a couple of weeks and has remained their since - he's now 18mo.

Kellymom has growth charts for ebf babies which are interesting.

BlueyDragon Tue 30-Oct-12 06:53:37

Experience of one: my average birth weight DS put on an entire pound in either week 2 or 3. The midwife's comment was, "Whatever you're doing, keep doing it". Which was feeding him for seemingly endless hours; must have been Gold Top grin.

I wouldn't worry about it.

VintageRainBoots Tue 30-Oct-12 07:07:08

My lactation consultant insisted that it was pretty much impossible to overfeed a breastfed baby.

My daughter also grew rapidly during her first month, too. She went from ~50% to 90% within the first month or so, and she's stayed there ever since (she's quite tall for her age and normal weight for her height).

needsadviceplease Tue 30-Oct-12 07:09:27

All the (bf) babies in my family have been born average, hurtled up the centiles as littlies, then slimmed back down gradually as they got mobile, ending up as average-slim adults. I'm sure super-pudgy 6mo DS will be doing the same.

Lovely lovely chubby bf legs. smile

WhoahThereCrazyHorse Tue 30-Oct-12 09:32:21

So for my next question - the midwife said I can chill out wrt waking ds up to feed ( he was jaundiced so I was stressing about him getting enough milk). However, it seems he naturally wants to feed every 3 hours in the day, but will go 4 hours at night. He has both sides at every feed - about 40 mins in total - but left to his own devices he wouldn't be doing the minimum 8 feeds in every 24 hours. Should I try and feed him more often in the day to get him up to at least 8 feeds?

TIA

Rachel130690 Tue 30-Oct-12 09:47:56

I was told never to wake a baby. I'd just let him feed when he wants.

BartletForTeamGB Tue 30-Oct-12 10:16:54

DS was very sleepy and jaundiced and I did need to wake him to ensure he fed, but he was losing weight. Your DS seems to be doing really well, so I would be less concerned about him going 4 hours at night.

Don't worry too much about weight in the first few weeks. IIRC, the red book doesn't have lines for the first 2-3 weeks because catch-up/down growth is so common.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now