Talk

Advanced search

Pads for sore nipples?

(16 Posts)
blushingmare Mon 29-Oct-12 15:41:36

I have an unbelievably sore nipple that's developed over the weekend. It's got so bad that today I can't feed dd from that side and clothing is really sore against it. I'm sure I have seen people write on here about some kind of pads you can buy to help with sore nips but I never took note of what they are. Can anyone enlighten me - need some emergency treatment as this is starting to make me miserable sad

peeohayess Mon 29-Oct-12 16:51:40

I'm so sorry you're struggling. Sore nipples are the pits. Is it "just" sore from feeding - I mean, you don't have a milk blister or anything? When I was feeding and my nipples were sore I used Lansinoh cream, air drying, and these which felt lovely and cool when you apply them and really do soothe. Plus if you are buying from Amazon and go through the Nectar website you can collect Nectar points on your purchase wink.

HTH...

peeohayess Mon 29-Oct-12 16:53:45

Also, might be worth looking here for suggestions as to why you might be sore!

blushingmare Mon 29-Oct-12 17:04:01

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Have just ordered and got it in a few mins before 5 and paid for express delivery so am praying they come tomorrow.

Not really sure why it's so sore. Dd is 5 months so it's not as if they're not toughened up! I have had it before and I think it's linked to when I've been a bit lax with checking her latch. Have had it twice before when I was feeding lying down a lot and recently I've been doing all night feeds in the dark so as not to disturb DH too much and think maybe I haven't been able to check her latch properly. It's agony to feed and although I expressed this morning, trying to pump this afternoon was killing me too so I gave up and will have to feed her from that side next feed angry Boob starting to get engorged as really hasn't been drained properly today. This is not good.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

blushingmare Mon 29-Oct-12 17:19:53

Thanks for that KellyMom link too. I wonder if it is a milk blister? I did see a clearish dot on the nipple earlier, but thought it was milk after expressing. She's asleep on me in the sling at the moment, but will have a good look later. For now, have just slathered on the Lansinoh and hoping for the best - ugh!!

peeohayess Mon 29-Oct-12 17:27:33

Best of luck!

pommesdeterreetfromageblanc Mon 29-Oct-12 17:33:07

sore nipples are awful... i have them now with my 6 days old baby. i have spent the day virtually topless drying them out. oh the glamour!!

blushingmare Mon 29-Oct-12 20:38:56

Hmmm this hasn't gone to plan.... Soaked my nipple in warm flannel and fed her - pain was manageable. Then 15 mins later she vomited lots of blood. I'm pretty sure it's mine from my nipple but NHS Direct said to come to A&E to be on the safe side. So we're in A&E - waiting......

pommesdeterreetfromageblanc Mon 29-Oct-12 20:40:58

Oh you poor thing!! That sounds awful... I hope you are both ok xx

fluffacloud Mon 29-Oct-12 20:45:00

Bloody hell! Poor you blushing!

I'm pretty sure that you wont be waiting very long, cold comfort, I know.

At least you can both be checked over and they'll probably give you something for the pain.

crikeybadger Mon 29-Oct-12 21:32:28

Hope things are OK blushing-any chance your LO has cut you or you have a crack somewhere that may be bleeding?

Oh and moist wound healing is recommended nowadays rather than leaving nipples to air dry (think of it like putting lip salve on cracked lips ). See a good explanation here.

Really hope you're not stuck in A and E for too long.

blushingmare Mon 29-Oct-12 23:25:50

Well we're home finally! Were in A&E for 4 hours. They thought it most likely it is my blood, but because I don't have any obvious crack and am not producing any blood when expressing, they did a blood test on dd to check for a clotting disorder. It was awful - a junior doctor tried twice and only succeeded in distressing her beyond belief and then the third time the registrar got it in ok sadsadsad I know they have to learn, but it was so upsetting and most likely completely unnecessary as we're fairly sure the blood came from me. Anyway, we came home rather than wait for the results and they will ring us if there are any problems. She's currently falling asleep on the boob (the non painful one!), so hopefully she doesn't hold it against me. What a palava!

stargirl1701 Mon 29-Oct-12 23:31:22

Hope things are better.

I used Medela hydrogel pads from the freezer. Amazing relief.

corblimeymadam Mon 29-Oct-12 23:38:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

peeohayess Tue 30-Oct-12 22:32:07

Hope things are better for you!

blushingmare Wed 31-Oct-12 08:09:29

Thanks! She is fine in herself, but it seems to have totally messed up her sleep. Couldn't get her to nap at all yesterday, leading to an impossibly overtired baby at bedtime and couldn't get her to bed without me going to bed too and bringing her in with me. God I hope we go back to normal today because although not a great sleeper, going to bed by 7 in the evening has been the one thing that's been reliably good!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now