Advanced search

Feeding turmoil...

(13 Posts)
SetFiretotheRain Mon 29-Oct-12 08:01:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sugarandspite Mon 29-Oct-12 08:06:20

How old is your DD?

ZuleikaD Mon 29-Oct-12 08:39:06

Isn't there any way you can change the weekend? Can your DH and DD come with you or stay nearby?

tiktok Mon 29-Oct-12 09:15:29

If your baby is ebf, I'm guessing a still young baby (under 6 mths anyway) - a weekend away from a baby as young as this is hard whether they are ff or bf...hard for you, hard for the baby, who does not know and cannot understand you are coming back but who knows their world is no longer the same.

Is it absolutely unavoidable that you go away without her?

tiktok Mon 29-Oct-12 09:16:37

And why do you think this would be a 'non-issue' to a lot of people? Absolutely not! Are you under pressure from people in your real life who are saying you are making a fuss? sad

SetFiretotheRain Mon 29-Oct-12 09:57:11

ZuleikaD Mon 29-Oct-12 10:11:00

I don't think you're being overprotective. If it was me I'd maybe go on the daytime part of the hen do or just stay for one night.

tiktok Mon 29-Oct-12 10:20:02

You asked 'WWYD?' so here's my take on it: I wouldn't go away for a whole weekend leaving a 7 mth old baby, especially one I knew would be unhappy (as most 7 mth olds would be).

You are not being over-protective - she's 7 mths, and still needs you....you are already gently leaving her for short periods on the evenings you go to college, and a weekend is a big jump from that!

rubyslippers Mon 29-Oct-12 10:28:24

I couldn't and wouldn't have been able to leave my 7 month old for a weekend

Maybe overnight at a push but not ideally as she was being dream fed

I was EBF and she was a bottle refuser

I think you won't enjoy your time away as you will be stressing about it

rubyslippers Mon 29-Oct-12 10:29:06

Could you join your sister for part of the weekend ? Say a meal out

sugarandspite Mon 29-Oct-12 13:18:33

Another one here who couldn't and didn't leave a breastfed baby overnight.

I think you have to consider 4 things when making your decision:
- the physical impact on your baby: it sounds like there is a very real risk she may not get enough milk/food during this period when you're away and so will be hungry. This would probably be a deal breaker for me tbh.

- the physical impact on you: presumably you'll have to express while you're away to avoid massively engorged sore boobs and possible supply issues.

- the emotional impact on your baby

- the emotional impact on you.

Personally, for me the costs (to all of us) of me going for the full weekend would hugely outweigh the benefits (to me and to others). So I would either make different arrangements (there for the day / dinner / baby comes too etc) or not go.

Fwiw I think it's completely acceptable and understandable to say 'sorry, I thought we'd be ready for me to leave her but actually we're not'.

Seriouslysleepdeprived Mon 29-Oct-12 21:41:35

DS is nearly 7 months. No way I could or would want to leave him for a weekend. They are still so little and he would never sleep! I also wouldn't have the energy be able to express enough either.

I thought I would be 'back to normal' by now but I still have no urge to go out! Or go 'back to normal', this is my new normal smile

SetFiretotheRain Tue 30-Oct-12 16:58:52

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now