Talk

Advanced search

Flailing arms while trying to latch

(13 Posts)
AngelDog Sun 28-Oct-12 22:01:38

2 week old DS2 often (not always) flails his arms when trying to latch, especially on the breast where his latch is less good. His hands get in the way of his mouth. hmm

I don't want to swaddle his arms, which is what I did with DS1.

Any tips?

crikeybadger Sun 28-Oct-12 22:07:36

Well congratulations AngelDog- fantastic news about DS2's birth. grin

Not sure what to suggest really.... why are you not keen to swaddle?
Would a laid back breastfeeding type thing help at all?

applecrumple Sun 28-Oct-12 22:52:47

If you are doing the cradle hold, lie DC down & tuck his arm nearest to you under him as you roll him towards you. You will then have dc in a perfect position to latch on & will only have 1 stray hand to deal with. It is a pain when their little hands get in the way but it is something they did in utero when they were drinking amniotic fluid. Hope that's helpful & congrats! smile

ThreeWheelsGood Mon 29-Oct-12 00:12:31

This was happening to me ten mins ago too!I swapped sides which helped a little but not found a good solution yet :-(

SoozleQ Mon 29-Oct-12 00:52:57

DD2 (18 days) does this too. After the difficulties I had feeding DD1, this feels like a very minor problem and I find myself trying to negotiate with her to keep her arms out of the way grin

Once I remember that an 18 day old is unlikely to fully understand what I am saying, I just tend to arm wrestle her until her little hands are out if the way and she gets a good latch. So far, I've been winning the wrestling matches...

SirBoobAlot Mon 29-Oct-12 00:58:30

Congratulations smile

The early days are tough with all those uncontrolled limbs moving around grin

It can be helpful to start the feed before he gets to the point of being hungry; watch for early feeding cues. The less worked up he is, the less likely his hands will get in the way.

Try and remember that its a natural baby reflex, as frustrating as it is, and it does pass.

If you're feeding in cradle position, wrap the lower arm around your body, possibly holding it in gently between your own arm and body. Use the hand not supporting him to keep gently pulling his hand away, some parents finding holding that hand can be helpful.

needsadviceplease Mon 29-Oct-12 07:16:00

This used to reeeeally annoy me! Yes, as PP said, I tucked his underneath arm between my arm and body, and held his top hand. Mostly he just grew out of it eventually. Occasionally I had to take him right off and reposition from scratch - used to sit him on my knee and give him a 'talking to'. blush

At 6mo he's still keen to use his hands for bf [sigh] - he likes to pull my nipple into his mouth all by himself, and fiddles with the other one while feeding.

Longdistance Mon 29-Oct-12 07:41:15

Both my dd's did this. I tucked one arm under their body, and when a hand came up I put my finger in the palm of their hand, and let them clamp hold. Although, dd2 did then end up being a boon grabber hmm

Longdistance Mon 29-Oct-12 07:42:13

Boob grabber lol, not boon.

AngelDog Mon 29-Oct-12 21:43:49

Thanks everyone (and thanks, crikey - hope you're well?). I had a bit more success today with some of your suggestions.

I don't really understand DS2 yet - sometimes I think the flailing hands are because he's ravenous, but when I restrain him, he just lies next to the nipple calmly for a couple of minute before doing anything about it.

It doesn't help that during the day I'm being climbed on by my 2.9 y.o. which makes it even harder for DS2 to get well-latched. hmm Night feeds are much better.

Actually, longdistance, your suggestion is really helpful - DS1 loves getting DS2 to hold his finger, so I could get DS1 to help with that bit. I bet he'd enjoy it. smile

applecrumple, on one of the scans we saw DS2 sucking on his whole fist and putting it in and out of his mouth...

Smicha Tue 30-Oct-12 08:46:02

Just to give you some hope, my ds is 5 weeks today and stopped doing this at about 3 weeks. I thought it would last forever at the time!

Now he's taken to grabbing my boob with his fingernails wink

crikeybadger Tue 30-Oct-12 21:59:59

All good here thanks for asking AngelDog, hope things are calming down in the arm flailing department. smile

Raspberrysorbet Tue 30-Oct-12 22:14:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now