Advanced search

Confusing advice from Health Visitor

(17 Posts)
Raspberrysorbet Sun 28-Oct-12 16:43:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Raspberrysorbet Sun 28-Oct-12 17:10:24

tiktok Sun 28-Oct-12 17:12:45

Ha! What an unhelpful bit of advice....loving the bit about breastmilk losing some of its you know....er, no, I don't smile

A cup of formula at lunchtime sounds fine!

tiktok Sun 28-Oct-12 17:14:24

Or a bf, of course. But just speaking as a mother, he'll be fine either way, imo.

Raspberrysorbet Sun 28-Oct-12 17:17:02

CailinDana Sun 28-Oct-12 17:24:24

What I don't get is how people believe milk from a cow is nutritious but milk from a human isn't. What sort of thinking brings up that logic??

In your position I would probably try him with a beaker of expressed milk or formula with/after lunch. He does seem a little bit low on milk.

Welovecouscous Sun 28-Oct-12 17:30:09

Raspberrysorbet Sun 28-Oct-12 17:42:13

CailinDana Sun 28-Oct-12 18:04:43

Nah there's not a huge difference, particularly when it's only one cup. But if you do want to express could you sit down and do it in front of the tv in the evening then just leave it in the fridge for the next day? It'll keep fine.

Other than that, a cup of follow on milk will do the job.

Raspberrysorbet Sun 28-Oct-12 18:23:12

mmmmsleep Sun 28-Oct-12 18:31:04

Ebm if you wish to express...employer legally has to provide you with somewhere to express time and somewhere to store. Other wise formula. Cows milk not til over a year and full fat then.

It is also worth mentioning the advice you received to her supervisor....not a witchhunt but because sounds like she needs training and you won't be the only one getting dodgy advice esp saying breast milk isn't nutritious at 7m complete rubbish.
Good luck with return to work.

jaffacake2 Sun 28-Oct-12 18:38:45

As an HV I do not recommend any formula milk when mums are breastfeeding because it can be undermining and the breastmilk is more nutritious than formula.
We all get UNICEF breastfeeding training so perhaps she was on holiday during training week !!!

Raspberrysorbet Sun 28-Oct-12 20:24:47

SirBoobAlot Mon 29-Oct-12 01:06:47

Cows milk doesn't have the calorie content to be used under 1, its also very high in sodium. So if you feel you want to give a beaker of ebm or formula, then you can, but really there is no need, sounds like things are going well.

Raspberrysorbet Mon 29-Oct-12 09:32:51

KatAndKit Mon 29-Oct-12 22:04:44

It is fine to use whole milk for cereal. It is equally ok to use breastmilk or formula if you prefer. Since he is still night feeding i wouldn't worry about lunch milk it sounds like he is getting plenty from you.

Longtalljosie Tue 30-Oct-12 07:21:41

It seems to me if he's night feeding, having two bf feeds and also eats gallons of yoghurt, you don't need to give him milk at lunchtime. Clearly if you're back at work your supply is going to have to get used to not feeding at lunchtime - which I don't think will be a problem at all.

So essentially - either water or formula at lunch. Whichever you fancy. But not cow's milk - extraordinary advice there - especially as you're using it as part of solids...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now