Talk

Advanced search

4 wk old wants constant bottle feeds, demented (me not him)

(5 Posts)
Megamammy Sun 28-Oct-12 15:48:32

Hi

4 wk old on Aptamil stage 1 formula. Wants feed every 1 and a half to 2 hours. Takes 3 to 4 oz and then is full, spits out teat or spits up. Very hard going at night. I am so stressed out from it. We don't even get an hours sleep now and he's awake wanting more. Probably going through a growth spurt and hungrier but this is so hard. He's been like this for the past 2 weeks, he was better at the beginning.

Public health nurse says we should be getting a 3 - 4 hour stretch between feeds. He screams for food all the time. We feel he is a bit small for the hungrier formula and he absolutely won't take any more milk during individual feeds.

Any advice would be most welcome,
Thank you
Annie

vodkaanddietirnbru Sun 28-Oct-12 16:54:23

has he been checked for reflux? Drinking can relieve the reflux (at the time) but then they are not settled afterwards

aamia Sun 28-Oct-12 17:46:48

What is his weight gain like?

LeChatRouge Sun 28-Oct-12 17:50:02

Is he spitting up a lot of milk? Hard to measure, but is he loosing a lot of his feed by spitting it back up? Mine used to projectile and just like that it was gone again. Not funny at 2am.

tiktok Sun 28-Oct-12 17:50:37

Not sure what a public health nurse is.....must be a non-UK thing....but I would ask her what her evidence is that a four week old baby 'should' be going 3-4 hours between feeds.

Sounds like the whole thing should be investigated, though - but one option would be to try smaller amounts more frequently if this makes him feel happier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now