Talk

Advanced search

DD has weaned very suddenly and I'm engorged. Help!

(10 Posts)
neverquitesure Sun 28-Oct-12 07:59:21

Two nights ago I decided to completely night wean my 2 1/2 year old DD. After a massive temper tantrum voicing her disapproval she accepted it really well and last night didn't even bother asking for it. I had planned to continue daytime feeds on our existing never offer, never refuse agreement (she asks, I suggest a book/drink in her special mug/etc but if she still wants it she can have it) but she's decided that she doesn't want to feed at all now.

She asked once yesterday morning, I offered her a drink in her mug instead and she jumped at the offer. Since then she hasn't asked at all. She used to feed mainly from one side and that breast has adjusted well (still very full, but less so than yesterday) but the other side became very painful and engorged before bed last night and I suspect the early stages of mastitis this morning sad

I've always struggled with pumping and, true to form, couldn't get more than a few drops out when I tried for the first time this morning. I had an abscess on this same side with my first child and it has never produced properly since, so it seems doubly suspicious that it's this side that is having trouble adjusting now.

So what do I do? I am loath to send DD mixed signals by asking her to feed if she doesn't want to, but the pump is not working. I'm also loath to continue with the pump (I'm worried that pumping will stimulate my supply without actually removing enough milk to do any good). I'm a long drive from out of hours GPs, pharmacies, etc (90+ minute round trip on a Sunday), but obviously can do if needed. Can I ride this out until the village GP practice opens tomorrow, or should I be starting antibiotics today? My temperature is very slightly elevated, but I'm feeling fine.

Sorry for the epic post!

HumphreyCobbler Sun 28-Oct-12 08:01:44

oh dear - I was in this situation and i think I hand expressed a little off, just to relieve the pain but then left it. It didn't actually turn into mastitis for me, I just thought it was going to.

Hope someone more expert comes along soon, I feel for you! I remember how vile it was

TanteRose Sun 28-Oct-12 08:11:01

Hand express just a tiny bit to make yourself more comfortable.

Then either cabbage leaves in your bra, or frozen peas (wrapped in a tea towel or something - don't want to give your boobs freezer burn grin)

It will take couple more days - DO NOT be tempted to let your DD feed

TanteRose Sun 28-Oct-12 08:12:07

I meant a PACK of peas etc.

Not kind of sprinkled over your chest grin

diddlediddledumpling Sun 28-Oct-12 08:13:21

I had mastitis lots of times this year and learnt to spot the initial signs and stave it off. Ibuprofen is your friend, and hand expressing, maybe in the bath. I wouldn't express enough to empty the breast (I'd find that pretty hard anyway), but expressing some takes away the engorgement, without giving the message that production needs to stay as it was. And keep taking the ibuprofen.
I only had antibiotics when my milk first came in, managed the engorgement with above strategies the rest of the time. But with your abscess experience, maybe you or your GP would prefer to that you take them now.

WidowWadman Sun 28-Oct-12 08:28:34

I've just been through this - my 17 months old had a favourite breast, she was mostly an evening/night time feeder and last saturday I stopped completely cold turkey. On wednesday I went from slightly full but ok to utter agony, and since friday am on antibiotics, which kicked in fairly quickly.

neverquitesure Sun 28-Oct-12 08:33:47

thanks to you all

I have had a long hot shower and managed to hand express off some milk. I didn't manage to reduce the two hard and painful lumps, but the rest of the breast is a lot softer.

Off to take ibuprofen now which will hopefully help reduce the inflammation.

Thanks again, I shall keep you all updated

neverquitesure Sun 28-Oct-12 08:52:20

Forgot the peas! Might need to be sweetcorn actually as we'll be needing all the peas for dinner tonight although I did briefly consider whether I could defrost them in my bra and serve them anyway

neverquitesure Mon 29-Oct-12 14:21:30

UPDATE: it seems to be resolving itself, thank goodness. I shall be watching it like a hawk though, given my past experience.

DD still shows no interest in feeding, which feels really strange. I really hadn't expected it all to end so suddenly. It's been a joy not having her demanding milk when she wakes in the night/early morning though, I shall just miss our milky daytime cuddles. She did ask this morning whether Mummy's boobies were better now (I told her they were too tired to work at night on our first night of cold turkey) and I told her they were all back to normal and she kissed each one and then went off and played happily by herself.

TanteRose Mon 29-Oct-12 14:49:50

Glad you are feeling better smile

<sniff> at your DD kissing each boob and going off to play...bless!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now