Talk

Advanced search

Anyone on here got combining advice?

(5 Posts)
Lizzietow Sat 27-Oct-12 14:27:46

I'm hoping to combine bf and formula this time. With my first, I found bf so difficult and managed 5 weeks. I intended to combine but my milk seemed to dry up. Any advice on combining? DD2 2 weeks old so trying the bottle for first time tonight.

milkjetmum Sat 27-Oct-12 14:37:01

I mixed fed as a gradual transition. From 6 weeks bottle for dreamfeed. We stayed like that for a long time, then at weaning dd dropped her 11am feed and I introduced a beaker for mid-afternoon milk, so by 9 months I just fed at 7am and 7pm. Did this until 13months then stopped.

I suppose the key thing would be to chose a feed to replace and stick to a pattern to avoid discomfort/dropping your milk supply to much in the early days.

milkjetmum Sat 27-Oct-12 14:37:02

I mixed fed as a gradual transition. From 6 weeks bottle for dreamfeed. We stayed like that for a long time, then at weaning dd dropped her 11am feed and I introduced a beaker for mid-afternoon milk, so by 9 months I just fed at 7am and 7pm. Did this until 13months then stopped.

I suppose the key thing would be to chose a feed to replace and stick to a pattern to avoid discomfort/dropping your milk supply to much in the early days.

Lizzietow Sat 27-Oct-12 17:51:00

Thanks milk. It's comforting to. Know it can work!

RandomMess Sat 27-Oct-12 17:54:13

I gave my youngest 1 bottle a day from around 4 weeks as I had to go back to work fairly promptly. You need to remember that as baby has growth spurts it will take time for your milk supply to match demand and that is normal - don't slip into the habit of increasing more bottles at that point. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now