Talk

Advanced search

Dark green poo and nappy rash in EBF 6 weeker

(7 Posts)
eachpeach11 Sat 27-Oct-12 06:20:19

DD id is 6 weeks old. For the last day or two I notived nappy rash. I have noew just changed nappy and poo is dark green.
Is this normal.?
When I googled I found out it coul be foremilk/hindmilk imbalance or allergy. Does this sound right?
Incidently there is eczema/asthma in family and dd's skin is quite dry on head/feet.
Thank you.

ZuleikaD Sat 27-Oct-12 06:33:59

How is her feeding, and what are you using to treat the nappy rash?

bringonthetrumpets Sat 27-Oct-12 06:36:41

Yes, this is a characteristic of foremilk imbalance. Is she feeding more frequently but for shorter periods of time per side? Do you notice any other behavioural changes when you eat dairy or soy products (these tend to be the most common allergy-inducing things for newborns, also presenting itself as eczema or diaper rash).

eachpeach11 Sat 27-Oct-12 06:42:06

Have just been using standard nappy rash cream. All I had. All to get some proper metanium tomorrow. (only have everyday 1 at moment.
She does feedfor short periods at a time sometimes. Nods off but than comes back to breast soon after. Have been trying to go back to same breast when she does this. Also expressing some feeds. Could that be an issue? Thank you.

tiktok Sat 27-Oct-12 09:33:27

Please don't worry about foremilk/hindmilk 'imbalance' - it's often misunderstood.

This is a good source of info:

www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/2010/6/27/worries-about-foremilk-and-hindmilk.html

Most babies with dark green poo don't need anything changing in their bf at all. In an otherwise healthy baby, it's on the normal spectrum.

Rash is very common. In rare cases it can be linked to the mother's diet. If it persists despite the use of cream you could think about that, but check with your HV who may have other recommendations for treatment.

Declutterbug Sat 27-Oct-12 09:42:14

Does she have a cold?

Provided she's growing well, you are comfy and she's well in herself then green poo is just green poo!

eachpeach11 Sun 28-Oct-12 15:52:16

Strangely i managed toeed ds for 8 months and i didn't even know about fore/hind milk!
Thanks ladies. Have got some metanium and it seems better already.
On holiday for a week so will get her weighed when i get back.
Sorry for lower case i's. Typing with one hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now