Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding is making me angry

(12 Posts)
MrsMicawber Fri 26-Oct-12 16:04:12

I know that is not a sensible reaction, but it is stupidly HARD and it hurts! DS is three weeks today and I'm on my second bout of mastitis. I have one inverted nipple. I'm trying to pump and the milk is going everywhere except the bottle.

Please hold my hand.

Olympicrock Fri 26-Oct-12 16:06:36

Nails isn't it. I'll hold your hand, everyone needs a hand holder in the early days. Keep going, just 1 more day each time it is horrid, then all of a sudden one day you notice it isn't so hard anymore

MrsMicawber Fri 26-Oct-12 16:10:19

Thank you. I feel like there is so much conflicting advice and I don't know what to do to get it right!! The counselor from BfN said hold him in the opposite arm to what feel natural. Then the health visitor said no no hold him in the crook of your arm. Rest your nipples and pump. No no that can hold back your supply. Never touch his head while feeding. Stroke his head while feeding. And everyone says their piece with the same conviction!

ReallyTired Fri 26-Oct-12 16:11:37

Congratulations on your new baby.

I'm sorry you are going through hell. Have you found a breastfeeding support group near you. It helps to have company and meet women going through the same thing.

Olympicrock is right, it does get better. I found it helped to hand express into a bowl or jug rather than bottle. The easiest way to sterilise a bowl is to put it in a bucket of milton solution.

melliebobs Fri 26-Oct-12 16:12:06

Never touch their head while feeding :s

MrsMicawber Fri 26-Oct-12 16:14:23

Thank you smile

The nearest group is very hard to get to without a car, and I don't drive. I do hope to go out to one as soon as I feel a bit stronger and capable.

I'm using (or trying to use)the Avent hand pump. Would hand expressing drain my breast well enough to deal with the mastitis?

ReallyTired Fri 26-Oct-12 16:15:26

MrsMicawber breastfeeding a bit of an art rather than a science. You almost need to experiment with different positions to see what is best for you. We all come in different shapes and sizes.

A newborn often finds it hard to support its head. The traditional cradlehold is better for an older baby who can support/his or her head. The cross cradle postion or biological nuturing is often easier for a newborn becuase it does not have to support its own head.

I hope this article helps and I have not added to the confusion.

www.lalecheleague.org/faq/positioning.html

mawbroon Fri 26-Oct-12 16:39:03

What else is going on apart from pain and mastitis? (as if that wasn't enough to be going on with!!)

AlisonOrdnung Fri 26-Oct-12 16:54:22

I had a difficult time with my first. If it's painful, has anyone checked your lovely sprout for tongue tie?

Olympicrock Fri 26-Oct-12 21:12:44

I found the hand pump flipping useless and ended up sending my husband to Tesco for an electric one in the middle of the night when DS decided not to feed much 1 day, I thought my boobs were going to explode! Expressing got a whole lot easier at that point!!

CommanderShepard Sat 27-Oct-12 19:04:18

How are you doing today?

MrsMicawber Thu 01-Nov-12 11:18:09

Hello all, I'm sorry for abandoning this thread. MN, with all its comforting abilities, was out of reach with a toddler comendeering the laptop and an infant needing both my arms.

He's asleep now, mercifully. I went to see an NCT counsellor last night who was very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now