Talk

Advanced search

sore nipple solutions

(14 Posts)
pommesdeterreetfromageblanc Thu 25-Oct-12 22:31:25

hello
my baby was born 2 days ago and I have started breast feeding and it seems ok so far but my nipples are rather sore. Are there any gadgets out there to help ease the pain?
thanks

BoysBoysBoysAndMe Thu 25-Oct-12 22:32:58

Lansinoh cream is really good

And a flannel as hot as you can manage

And a couple of paracetamol

It will get easier though I promise.

Congratulations!!grin

bramblina Thu 25-Oct-12 22:35:33

Yes defo Lansinoh though it costs £10- horror! Well worth it.
I must admit IME it was mostly sore for a long time, latch etc all fine, I was just unfortunate. BUT it is well worth it and it all does get easier.
I do believe some people swear by putting cabbage leaves in their bras, full leaves, but I do not know which type!!

stargirl1701 Thu 25-Oct-12 22:38:50

Hydrogel breast pads from the freezer...oh the relief!!! Send your DH to Tesco now grin

aimingtobeaperfectionist Thu 25-Oct-12 22:45:45

If you can express a little milk onto your nipples and let it soak in. Also helps babys skin if they scratch their face-just dab it on.

jazzer2012 Thu 25-Oct-12 22:46:17

Yes, Lansinoh is definitely the best but is expensive! but lasts ages. Warm baths really helped me, must before a feed, makes you feel nice and relaxed which really helps. I found that being warm, overall, really helps. Was really painful when I was cold. It does get easier, keep at it, well done!

jazzer2012 Thu 25-Oct-12 22:47:44

Yes, Lansinoh is definitely the best but is expensive! but lasts ages. Warm baths really helped me, must before a feed, makes you feel nice and relaxed which really helps. I found that being warm, overall, really helps. Was really painful when I was cold. It does get easier, keep at it, well done!

pommesdeterreetfromageblanc Thu 25-Oct-12 22:56:41

I have some ice packs in my bra and on my bum at the moment.... The breast pads sound a bit more discreet! Can they be reused as they are not cheap either.... I have Lansinoh which helps the suppleness, but my nipples irradiate heat and I am almost starting to dread the next feed... I know I need to persist though. Maybe I will try the hot flannel too... although it seems to be going against what I fancy to put on my book right now....

Sleepyfergus Thu 25-Oct-12 22:58:15

Multimam nipple compresses! For sore, cracked, bleeding nipples, they are magic! They're natural moist compresses that you pop in your bra. I cut one pad into 2, one for each side, and kept them in all day as opposed to the 5 mins they suggest. My nipples healed almost overnight! They are also really soothing if your nipples are burning after a feed. Invaluable in the early days of bf.

You get can in most Boots stores.

Congrats on the birth of your baby too btw smile

stargirl1701 Fri 26-Oct-12 04:36:02

The hydrogel pads are not reusable but you can ask the midwife/GP for circular wound shields which are the same. They last for 3 days. If you are in Scotland thru would be free on prescription.

Jackstini Fri 26-Oct-12 05:30:36

Tis savoy cabbage leaves, and keep them in the fridge before use.
Think there is something called silverette too but not used that.

I did use nipple shields for a short while although they have their pros and cons. Worked really well for me though.

monkeypuzzeltree Fri 26-Oct-12 09:46:25

Buy breast shells! I can't praise them enough, just a plastic cup really with a dome to poke nipple through - keeps nipple in the air rather than squashed an sticking to your bra sad then you can use whichever lotion and it gets absorbed by you and not your clothes!

helsybells Fri 26-Oct-12 18:27:09

Apparently breast milk is one of the best things you can use for healing cracked nipples. I had a terrible time with BF and eventually gave up but found nipple guards helped a lot with the discomfort.

stargirl1701 Fri 26-Oct-12 22:57:18

Btw...fill a condom with water and freeze it to make the perfect ice pack for your genital area. Wrap in gauze before applying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now