Advanced search

Painful sex and breastfeeding

(11 Posts)
Curtsey Thu 25-Oct-12 12:41:46

<deep breath and sorry for the TMI>

OK. Can anyone tell me if it's in anyway normal to still be finding sex painful 9 months after delivery? I'm still breastfeeding 4/5 times per 24hrs. I feel like there is no moisture down there at all. DD's birth was straightforward: I didn't tear or need an episiostomy (although a midwife did comment that it looked a bit 'bruised' down there - surely this is normal straight after a delivery though?).

It's just sore, still. Maybe we just need to do it more often? DD's only recently started sleeping well so tbh haven't exactly been as active as we used to be!

Anybody any experience of this?

PoppyScarer Thu 25-Oct-12 13:30:49

It doesn't sound completely normal but I have been to see a gynae and a GP since my DC2 was born for "down there" ishoos and both have said that breastfeeding causes both dryness and relaxin to continue to flow, so your muscles aren't quite the same until you stop bfing.

Both told me to expect sex to be painful (based on what they saw when examining me) until I stopped bfing, and advised me to use lubricant. The GP also prescribed some other cream to help with redness/soreness that she observed, and it has really helped.

Go and see your GP, even if you have to wait a few weeks to see a good female GP it will be worth it to have your mind put at rest. I was really embarrassed but so glad I went!


Curtsey Thu 25-Oct-12 14:13:41

Thank you Poppy, that does help. I think I will bite the bullet and go to GP. Thanks again.

DW123 Thu 25-Oct-12 19:22:31

I had the same until periods came back at 10 months. At 18 months now all back to normal. Its horrid.

elfycat Thu 25-Oct-12 19:25:41

I had the same with DD1 and I was bfeeding, the painful sex went on for months and then resolved while I was still feeding. Didn't have it after DD2 and I bf the same and had more damage/stitches from the birth.

BakingBunty Thu 25-Oct-12 20:23:47

I echo DW123 100%. Things got so much better when my periods returned (after I dropped night feeds at around 10 months).

feekerry Thu 25-Oct-12 21:55:49

I have to use lubrication at present. I'm elf my 7 months dd. Think sex would be really painful without lubrication. Have you tried it?

feekerry Thu 25-Oct-12 21:56:21

Ebf sorry!

AThingInYourLife Thu 25-Oct-12 22:00:21

Yes, I have this and had it last time.

It's a bit grim. Combined with my almost non-existent libido it makes sex a very rare occurrence ATM.

My periods have come back, but baby only 4 months old.

Curtsey Thu 25-Oct-12 22:11:28

yep, I have feekerry, I couldn't even fathom not using it right now.

It's very irksome. But some of you are saying the return of periods helped a bit. Mine nowhere in sight. DD tends to sleep through without needing a feed about 40% of the time and the other 60% I feed her once.

Thanks all for sharing, anyway!

marriednotdead Thu 25-Oct-12 22:14:35

For different but similar reasons I've had to resort to lubricant for a pain free love life. I can't tell you how amazing Sylk is, and it's available on prescription. Most lubes make me itch but this is perfect. They'll send you a free sample too. I sound like I get paid to promote it but I truly don't, it has been lifechanging for me though smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: