Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have created rod for my own back apparently

(3 Posts)
OpheliasWeepingWillow Thu 25-Oct-12 00:39:40

My dd has silent reflux (so many threads by me...) and used to outright refuse bottles and solids. We tried nose tube feeding. All a nightmare.

She now is 8.5 months and drinks at least 20oz a day and has three small meals (with lots of distraction!)

The problem is that she has never liked her bottle but we manage by showing her a really annoying baby app while we feed. Now I am trying to wean her off the app but my god, is hellish.

She doesn't have any wriggle room re weight so would you:

Go cold turkey, feed her in a variety of locations and hope she gets the message that she will have to drink wherever she needs to

Or

Slowly reduce app time over the feed (putting to one side for example)

The feeding therapist says to just do whatever works but to be honest I don't think it's healthy and if I have to listen to that stupid app one more time I might throw my phone in the bin.

I need the help of some sensible people... WWYD?

tiktok Thu 25-Oct-12 10:27:07

Ophelia, you have been through the mill sad

To be honest, I think you are expecting a lot of mumsnet to give you concrete help on this....you have a feeding therapist who says 'do whatever works' , s/he knows you, knows the history, can assess your baby properly, and is the best person to talk to.

Maybe it will help if you explain that 'do whatever works' is not cutting it for you, and you need some further specific guidance based on what do to about the app, now or in the future.

FWIW, I think I would be concerned about using the app all the time, but weaning her off it should not be 'hellish'. There has to be an easier, kinder way, that gets you and your baby onto feeding in a normal, enjoyable way.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Thu 25-Oct-12 14:39:34

Thanks Tiktok - to be honest I am just glad she now takes the bottle! The feeding therapist was also fine with use syringe feeding all the time which makes me take her advice with a pinch of salt. Basically it's my fault as I found it easier to feed her with major distraction and now she will now feed any other way.

It's definitely behavioural but I need to bite the bullet and phase it out somehow!

A lot of it stems from my own anxiety at her previous eating issues and the fact that she is thin as a rake (looks like that is genetic rather than calorie driven)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now