Talk

Advanced search

Giving cows milk as a drink to 12 month old

(8 Posts)
sonnyd Wed 24-Oct-12 21:35:20

Hi there,
My DS turns one next month and I am still bf him ( prob about 5/6 feeds a day) and he enjoys his food too, having 3 meals a day.
Wondering whether there is any need or benefit to giving him cows milk as a drink after he turns one?
Any advice or experience gratefully received!
X

Harecare Wed 24-Oct-12 21:38:17

Up to you, but I wouldn't want to be breast feeding a 1 year old 5-6 times a day. I'd go for 3 meals and 2 snacks with water at meals and milk with snack. The need or benefit is determined by how bothered you are by continuing to BF 5-6 times a day.

Wigeon Wed 24-Oct-12 21:40:57

I don't think there's any extra benefit to cow's milk - it surely can't be better than human breast milk for a normal human baby - but there's absolutely no problem if you substitute some or all of the breast feeds for cow's milk.

With DD1 I stopped BF at 12 months and she just had cow's milk.

With DD2 at 12 months she was having bedtime breastmilk and cow's milk during the day. And in a couple of months she was just on cow's milk.

But you could just continue BF-ing with no cow's milk if you want!

RhinestoneCowgirl Wed 24-Oct-12 21:49:17

DD was still bf that frequently at that age. I didn't really offer cows milk as a drink as she was having so much bm.

I was happy to bf and was around to do it. With her older brother I went back to work p/t and so he was offered cowsmilk at the cm. Think he didn't really get into drinking it until 15.months or so...

scrivette Thu 25-Oct-12 18:59:24

I started giving my BF DS a small amount if cows milk in a cup at around 14 months just to see if he liked it, which he does. He now has a big cup of it during the day and I Bf morning and evening.

sonnyd Fri 26-Oct-12 18:59:24

Thanks all, will give him a try of the cows milk and see how he likes it x

ISeeThreadPeople Fri 26-Oct-12 19:04:07

I didn't bother with dd as she was a voracious bfer. She fed far more than 5-6 times a day! DS is currently 13mo and he has a cup of milk in a morning because his 5yo sister has one. He really likes it, drinks it in double quick time. And, er, then asks for a bf. grin

BartletForTeamGB Sun 28-Oct-12 07:54:43

I wanted to reduce DS's feeds because we were wanting to get pregnant again, so began switching some to cows' milk. He hated it, so I ended up giving him a cup of water with one drop of milk, and then the next time, two drops, and then eventually 1ml in 100ml of water, then 2ml, then... He loves milk now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now