Talk

Advanced search

Trying to bf a sleepy baby

(9 Posts)
Exexe Wed 24-Oct-12 21:26:05

Dd is a week old. She keeps falling asleep duringfeeding and only seems to last 10 mins at a time. When she was weighed, she had dropped 14% of birth weight. She's also jaundiced but just below the level where they would give light therapy. Would that be the reason why she's sleepy?
We had a stay in hospital where I expressed and fed her that way. It seemed to have really made a difference and her weight was up so we were allowed to go home and the drs weren't worried about anything else.

I can't really get to grips with expressing at home. I'm tired, its time consuming, I have 2 other children.

Any advice please?

didireallysaythat Wed 24-Oct-12 21:30:56

I used to undress mine slightly so they weren't so warm and cuddley and then, with a little milk in their tummy, sleepy. Damp flannel on feet... but maybe I'm just cruel...hope someone here as better advice !

bramblina Wed 24-Oct-12 21:33:43

I did the same as didireally.....strip down to vest, tickle their toes, wipe face with damp coldish cotton wool. I don't remember it lasting for very long though and then boom! They seem to be awake all the time! Be chuffed that you have a very contented baby, exexe, it's lush smile

StealthToddler Wed 24-Oct-12 21:34:28

It's hard particularly when you have other children to look after and it takes forever to feed a sleepy jaundiced baby.
My ds1 and ds2 both had jaundice, ds2 prolonged but neither bad enough for bili lights. Ds3 never had it.
Ds2 was incredibly sleepy with it and it was the jaundice. If compounds the fact they need lots to drink to combat the jaundice (they pee it out hence very orange wee).
So best advice for what worked for me was to try to really waked baby up by stripping him off to be cool so more awake and I kept tickling him. I got funny looks at stripping him off but if worked and had got over it and was less sleepy after a few days.
You just need to persevere with ensuring he drinks and then it will be a positive spiral....
Good luck!

Exexe Wed 24-Oct-12 21:38:48

Will try keeping her cooler.
Bramblina the problem is she's not contented as she's hungry after only feeding 10mins at a time. She falls asleep, I try to wake her, when it doesn't work I put her down, she wakes up within a minute. This goes on and on. And I'm worried she's not getting enough still. I don't want her to drop any more weight.
I am chuffed though, it is lush and I love her to bits smile

tilder Wed 24-Oct-12 21:44:27

My first was small and jaundiced. I was told he needed feeding every 2 hours until around 7lb or so. He was very sleepy too and basically they said strip him off, have skin on skin and tickle his toes to keep him feeding.

Also they said to lie him in sunlight to help with the jaundice.

tilder Wed 24-Oct-12 21:45:09

And congratulations!

Exexe Wed 24-Oct-12 22:22:32

Thank you Tilder. We'll be lucky to see any sunlight at the moment!

tilder Wed 24-Oct-12 23:03:44

Very true!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now