Talk

Advanced search

Can I take an Iron supplement while breastfeeding?

(5 Posts)
maldivemoment Wed 24-Oct-12 20:56:24

Presently taking the multi-vitamins I used while pregnant but I'm now experiencing the joy that is post-partum hair loss sad and I've heard cranking up my iron intake may help. Spoke to pharmacist today and she said i should really see GP and have blood taken but that just seems like an awful faff!

What do you think? Also, if I do take an Iron supplement are they all much the same or is there a premium brand? (Baby is 4 months if that makes any difference)

Thanks in advance

carocaro Wed 24-Oct-12 20:58:54

I think you can take Spa Tone in orange juice, I think it says on the packed 'suitable when breastfeeding' but plesae double check.

chocoluvva Wed 24-Oct-12 21:02:47

Spatone is good - gentle on your stomach and well absorbed. Cheaper tablets tend to be less well absorbed and make you constipated.
Get a blood test done though as you'll definitely know how your iron stores are then.
Hair loss is very common at this stage of motherhood - oh the joys!

IShallCallYouSquishy Wed 24-Oct-12 21:02:51

I have no medical qualifications but if I can take doctor prescribed iron tablets while breastfeeding (5 month old since she was 9 weeks) then I reckon a supplement will be ok. I think maybe you should go and get a blood test to check your iron levels though.

Mibby Wed 24-Oct-12 21:02:51

Ive been taking Spatone once daily since DD was born, still bf at 23 months. Keeps my iron level at ' normal' and stops me feeling rotten

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now