Talk

Advanced search

Emptying breast in less than 5 mins...

(12 Posts)
Raspberrymenlove Wed 24-Oct-12 20:31:35

We've hit the dreaded 16 week growth spurt, and it's tough going.
We've been lucky in this time, never having any real issues, but now I'm seriously doubting my supply!
She feeds for maybe 5 minutes max on each boob, and then fusses off. It's been like this over a week now, and her sleeping has gone from 7 -4 ish to every 2 hours. I know the sleep regression is a pain In the arse common, but every feed feels like she's desperate for more, it's heartbreaking to feel like I'm starving her.

So the last two nights she's has 4oz of formula before bed...
Am I shooting myself in the foot?
Could she really be that efficient at feeding?

Argh at the emotional turmoil sad any words of wisdom would be great.

Raspberrymenlove Wed 24-Oct-12 20:36:15

Also just to mention, I've been pretty much feeding on demand all week, at times nearly every hour, on fenugreek and stuffing myself ful of oats, and seen no return?

I never get the feeling of being full anymore, engorgement would be an almost welcome relief!!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 24-Oct-12 20:40:34

Once your supply settles down, you won't get engorged any more.

Also, your baby will never empty your breast, think of it as drinking from a river rather than a pond. She will be on the best frequently to up your supply to her needs.

If you are worried she isnt getting enough, you really need to get some RL support, especially as giving formula may impact your supply.

Raspberrymenlove Wed 24-Oct-12 21:04:55

Can I ask what RL is? I'm not great on my abbreviations!!

I really don't want this to be the start of it ending, as I know once one bottle is introduced it can lead to more. Is it impossible for any form of combination feeding to be harmonious?
I have no qualms in feeding on the hour every hour if that's what it takes, I just don't want it to be in vain, which it feels like it is at the moment.

WeAreSix Wed 24-Oct-12 21:29:07

RL = real life

My baby is 11w and she's an express feeder - she can feed very quickly. I only feel very full or engorged if she has missed a feed. Generally she feeds every 2 or 3 hours but if for some reason she goes 4 hours between feeds, then I feel full. Other than that my breasts feel soft.

I agree with ItsAllGoingToBeFine, and like the way feeding is described as a river rather than pond.

Follow your baby's lead. Feed on demand and let your baby increase and regulate your supply. Some people do mix feed successfully but I've not tried it before. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids.

Try not to over think it too much, the more relaxed you are the better.

Curtsey Wed 24-Oct-12 22:07:47

Hi. I am really NOT an expert, I just have one 9-month old, but I remember the fussing around the point you're talking about. One thing I found that helped her settle at the boob was to feed her while I was walking around, jiggling a little, if that makes sense? Patting her bottom.

I'd almost had oversupply in the early days but once my supply was established, the flow wasn't as fast. She was getting cross about this but the walking and jiggling helped her relax enough to keep at it. Worth a try?

The sleep cessation regression is just foul, I'm so sorry you're going through it. We did here too and there's nothing I can say about it apart from the fact that it doesn't last. I don't really know if there's anything for it but to just ride it out and keep feeding. Feed off both sides as much as possible for the next few weeks. You'll come through it and she WILL sleep again one day, not too long from now.
x

Raspberrymenlove Wed 24-Oct-12 23:35:57

First wake up of the night!!

curtsey I had a MONSTEROUS let down to begin with, it was so bad she would choke. I think that's largely to blame for her laziness/ fussiness these days as she expects it to just fall put like it used to. Feeding on the move I definitely something I'll try.

I guess it's all about setting myself up right, plenty if early nights and self belief (I had forgotten what it's llike when the 3am doubt sets in) so it's nice to just hear some other opinions to spur you on!
Also the fact that he last two nights few oz's of formula hasn't made a blind bit of difference, is a big comfort!! Had it knocked her out til 5am I would have been sleeping like an angel right now gutted!!

Seriouslysleepdeprived Thu 25-Oct-12 14:51:28

DS can polish a boob off in 5 mins flat, has done since 10 weeks. I had a terrible time with growth spurts, DS went through everyone feeding incessantly & not sleeping. 4 month one was especially bad.

They can sleep better with formula not because they are full but it's much harder to digest. Co-sleeping is your friend in these times. Wish I'd done it earlier but was against it as miss informed.

Keep feeding, they are upping your supply. Have you seen the wonder weeks? Saved my sanity!!

Seriouslysleepdeprived Thu 25-Oct-12 14:53:01

And second self believe...the magic boobs can do it smile

babybouncer Thu 25-Oct-12 16:07:18

How long has it been going on for?
One thing I found helpful with this sort of growth spurt was to give myself a deadline - if it went on longer than two weeks I would do something different. I always found that it changed for the better so suddenly that one day it would feel like it would go on forever, and the next day it was manageable again.
Also, one bfing counsellor said to me that by the time I was feeling like I couldn't cope, I may already have started to up my supply - so I had already done part of the hard work.
Hth

JezzaJ9 Thu 25-Oct-12 22:23:29

Just wrote a message about the exact same thing. Think my DS 15 weeks is doing exactly the same, glad to know its normal and I should just feed. And remind myself to stop reading books on routines and tryst my instinct and just feed feed feed.

Curtsey Thu 25-Oct-12 22:30:18

Jezza, just type 'four month sleep regression' into the search and see how common it is...should help you feel even more normal!

I still shudder at the memory

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now