Talk

Advanced search

Can I take anti depressants when EBF?

(9 Posts)
3plus2 Wed 24-Oct-12 12:52:06

Bit scared to tell gp I have PND well think I do but not sure if ad's are safe? Don't want to give up bfeeding

sweetkitty Wed 24-Oct-12 13:05:05

Yes you can, I've been on citalopram twice when EBF

3plus2 Wed 24-Oct-12 13:22:49

Oh I can't take citalapram made me have a panick attack :/ can I have anything else ?

EauRouge Wed 24-Oct-12 14:15:10

Yes, there are a few that are considered safe when BF. This is a really good source of info, they also have a helpline about medications that you can call if you need to talk to someone about it.

You're not alone in going through PND, it can be overcome with the right help so take care of yourself and make sure you get the support you need smile

sweetkitty Wed 24-Oct-12 14:18:31

I've had fluoxetine as well. As its one of the oldest and most common it's seen as safer.

ElphabaTheGreen Wed 24-Oct-12 15:02:28

The benefits of breastfeeding far outweigh the (minimal) risks of antidepressants, and breastfeeding can also help with depression. I'm also on Citalopram, but I think any of the SSRIs (Citalopram, Prozac, Seroxat etc) are quite safe. GPs are (or certainly should be) aware of the advised ones to use while breastfeeding.

MrsNPattz Wed 24-Oct-12 15:43:04

I am on Sertraline and am confident it is safe - I have been EBF for nearly 6 weeks and all ok. Good luck!

3plus2 Wed 24-Oct-12 18:14:52

She told me fluoxetine is a no go so given me paroxetine?

3plus2 Wed 24-Oct-12 18:34:24

Thank you for your replies I'm more confident in taking these now smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now