Talk

Advanced search

DD won't take multivitamin drop (8 month old)

(12 Posts)
porkbun Tue 23-Oct-12 23:00:24

HV recommended we should give DD multivitamin drop when she was six month old since I am still BF. We tried that several times, and DD clearly doesn't like it at all. She spilled it out most of the time. Once I forced it down on her and she ended up vomiting. Since then I stoped giving her any. Does anyboby have similar problem? Any suggestions on what should I do?

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Tue 23-Oct-12 23:05:17

Never heard of vitamin drops being needed.

Have you checked with a doctor?

I wouldn't worry about it.

tiktok Tue 23-Oct-12 23:14:37

UBW - this is standard advice in the UK, for all bf babies over 6 mths, because of concerns about Vitamin D (usually available not on its own but with other vits - but it's Vit D where the concerns are. The Vit D is already added to formula, so ff babies don't get it separately).

porkbun, ask your HV if it would be ok to add the drops to something she usually eats/drinks, instead of giving the drops separately.

JackThePumpkinKing Tue 23-Oct-12 23:20:41

Abidec by any chance? Try them yourself,they're bloody grim.

We just added to milk/yoghurt to hide the taste.

JackThePumpkinKing Tue 23-Oct-12 23:21:44

Sorry, missed that you BF so would be tricky to add to milk smile

We also used to mix in with ready brek

Sossiges Tue 23-Oct-12 23:22:07

If you take a D3 supplement, it'll come out in the milk, surely. www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17661565 Don't force anything on her. Mine didn't like them either, so I didn't bother.

Sossiges Tue 23-Oct-12 23:22:56

Abidec. Yuk.

Tallgiraffe Tue 23-Oct-12 23:42:58

We are meant to give them from 4 weeks in the north of England so that fun starts tomorrow for us!

ceeveebee Tue 23-Oct-12 23:52:45

We changed from abidec to (I think) wellbaby which is made by pregnacare and is orange flavoured. My DS actually opens his mouth willingly for it!

applecrumple Wed 24-Oct-12 01:21:15

I've had to give my prem baby abidec since birth - at first she hated it, but has since got used to it & now takes it no prob. Try expressing a little milk & mixing it with that & then feeding to her via a syringe

JackThePumpkinKing Wed 24-Oct-12 09:23:00

Abidec doesn't have the right type of vitamin D, does it? Wellbaby is the one with vitD3?

porkbun Wed 24-Oct-12 17:20:25

Well, seven seas' haliborange was what I gave her. It's orange flavour. I just tried some, and actually quite sweet, a bit like orange syrup. DD loves orange but don't know why she won't take the drop. Will try to mix with a bit breast milk as suggested. I tried to mix it with food and sometimes she wouldn't mind, but that makes all the food have the same taste. Maybe will try the wellbaby one as well. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now