Talk

Advanced search

Tongue tie division success in going back to bf - it is SO worth doing!

(4 Posts)
aamia Tue 23-Oct-12 20:29:57

Just wanted to post to encourage those who are having problems to look closely for tongue tie, and to give division a try.

Basically, we had these problems:
- feeding for very short periods of time (5-10min) and falling asleep on the breast.
- only ever feeding from one breast
- weight loss continuing after 5 days old
- struggling to gain weight even with unlimited top-ups of formula
- screaming for hours after feeds, with wind - arching back and cycling legs
- gradually reducing supply

His tongue tie was 75%, thin membrane-like. It was snipped, and immediately he fed without any resultant screaming afterwards. Two weeks later and he's been gaining weight normally ever since, feeds for 40-60min at a time, pulling off gently when he's done. The top-ups have been reduced naturally as he's not always hungry after feeds now, and today for example has only had three top-ups so far, rather than every feed. My boobs feel fuller before each feed and if I squeeze them there's always milk there.

So if you suspect tongue tie at all, it is SO worth getting it investigated! It literally transformed our lives, and turned him from a constantly crying, hungry, miserable baby that was struggling to gain weight, into a happy, content little person who is climbing the chart as he should.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 24-Oct-12 08:23:29

That is so lovely aamia

McBaby Wed 24-Oct-12 10:16:45

Nice to hear positive stories and totally agree with you. Had my first pain free feed yesterday (on one side!) in ten weeks after tie was cut two weeks ago.

mawbroon Wed 24-Oct-12 12:53:15

That's great aamia. Nice to hear a happy ending!

I think there is so much more tongue tie around than people realise. I believe that every new baby should be checked for it.

Ds1 is 7yo and we are dealing with the consequences of untreated tongue tie. If anybody is swithering about whether to have a tongue tie revised or not then I would encourage them to learn about the consequences of untreated ties before making their decision.

And lip ties are important too, but the HCPs don't seem to understand that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now