Talk

Advanced search

This is odd / wrong advice from HV isn't it?

(8 Posts)
notwoo Tue 23-Oct-12 14:22:19

Friend's DC is nearly 10 months old. Formula fed and BLW.

Apparently the other day HV told friend that baby no longer needed formula or bottles and to just give cows milk in a beaker.

Baby seems fine and happy with this arrangement and I haven't said anything to friend but I thought that they were supposed to keep having formula until 1?

BertieBotts Tue 23-Oct-12 14:23:35

Yes, they're supposed to have formula or BM until 1 year confused

A friend of mine did the same though sad So worried about not being able to drop bottles and her DS was eating so well she dropped milk entirely at 10 months old!

TimothyClaypoleLover Tue 23-Oct-12 14:30:05

Guidelines are to give a child cows milk at one year but these are just guidelines and I guess its not the end of the world to give cows milk at 10 months. Babies can have cows milk in food at the age of 6 months.

Anewstart Tue 23-Oct-12 14:32:05

Some doctors in the US (mine included) are now advising that you can give cows milk from 10 months onwards.

notwoo Tue 23-Oct-12 16:26:55

Interesting Anewstart - any idea why?

I have some old books which advise cows milk from 6 months so wondered if it was just a v old fashioned HV.

Its obviously not the end of the world, especially if they are eating well I suppose. Certainly cheaper

tiktok Tue 23-Oct-12 17:35:11

Not a big deal. A 10 mth old who is having a variety of foods including dairy foods will be just fine on cows milk rather than formula. You might not give the same advice for a 10 mth old who was not eating much variety.

Princessdivaaa Tue 23-Oct-12 17:42:16

I started my children on cows milk before 12 months replaced formula completed with cows milk.

Willsmum79 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:51:21

I know of lots of mums who started giving their LO cows milk before a year old.

My 10 month old is rapidly refusing his formula and takes between 2-4oz in a morning, refuses mid-afternoon bottle completely and takes again only 3-5oz at bedtime. We make up the shortfall with porridge when he has 5-6oz of milk in it.

My HV and GP (after extensive assessments and reassurances because he wasn't drinking fluid at all!) advised me to follow his lead. I couldn't FORCE him to drink and to offer other fluids instead, one of which is cows milk which during the afternoon he will often accept.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now