Talk

Advanced search

Feeding a 1 week old

(7 Posts)
HowDoIGetHimOut Tue 23-Oct-12 11:39:54

Hi,

I have just gone over from breastfeeding to bottle feeding my 1 week old baby. I obviously fed on demand when breastfeeding and have been advised to do the same whilst bottle feeding...sometimes he goes 4 hours in between 3oz feeds and other times hes hungry after an hour and half...is this normal and do they settle into a routine after a while...am worried I am over or under feeding him.

Thanks xx

louisdog Tue 23-Oct-12 13:22:40

I have bottlefed my 13 week old and since the start and I noticed similar with her, she seems to go longer sometimes and be hungry sooner at other times. I even took to writing down what she took and when, to try and spot a pattern, but there didn't seem to be one at all for the first few weeks (she has developed a bit of a pattern/routine more recently).

HV said that I should just carry on feeding on demand because she will know how much she needs and how often, and not to worry as she was putting on weight.

LittleBearPad Tue 23-Oct-12 13:28:26

Hi - this sounds normal to me too. My DD was bottle fed on demand and eventually spaced her feeds to about 3 hourly (now 5and a half months) but at the beginning it was more like 2 hourly but sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less. I was worried about over-feeding so fed her when she was hungry but never made her take more than she wanted i.e. finish the bottle. She has tracked her centile every month since birth which doesnt mean everything but made me feel she was getting what she needed. As your new DD's tummy grows she'll be able to last a bit longer and develop a rhythm to her day but this isn't likely t be for a good few weeks yet. Congratulations BTW

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 23-Oct-12 21:38:07

Hello OP
We have moved this thread to our feeding topic.
Oh and many congrats on your shiny new DS grin
<runs away quickly before she gets broody>

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 23-Oct-12 22:05:23

Congratulations on your new dd. if you are worried that you aren't feeding the correct amount then keeping a diary of what she takes over a few days seems like a good idea. The amount she should have in 24 hours should be on the carton.

LittleBearPad Tue 23-Oct-12 23:51:09

But don't worry if she has more or a bit less than the carton says. It's all averages.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 24-Oct-12 08:21:51

Yes sorry Little, I should have said that too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now