Talk

Advanced search

8 days old and occasional 4-5 hour gaps between feeds

(8 Posts)
AngelDog Tue 23-Oct-12 09:16:20

I'd appreciate a second opinion please.

DS2 will be 9 days old today. Last night he had a 4 hour long sleep and the night before he had a 5 hour long sleep. Otherwise he tends to go 1-2 hours between feeds.

Longer stretches of sleep are usually preceded by cluster feeding. After a longer sleep he feeds more enthusiastically than at other times (faster sucking, longer feeds, more sides than average before falling asleep again).

He is a fast feeder - 5-15 mins per side and doesn't always want both sides. He's weeing lots and producing 4+ good sized poos per 24 hours.

On Weds (day 5) he'd lost 6.7% of birthweight (which was 8lbs 6oz). He's due to be weighed again by midwives tomorrow.

While he sleeps a lot, I wouldn't say he was a particularly 'sleepy' baby. He'll generally only drop off after feeds or when I'm walking with the sling. His awake & alert periods are getting more frequent and longer. He doesn't always fall asleep after feeds.

His latch on one side isn't as good as it could be, but seems to be improving after getting some advice from a BfC yesterday (though unfortunately DS2 wouldn't wake up so she wasn't able to observe a feed). Biological nursing helps. I ran out of time to ask her about gaps between feeds.

We co-sleep at night and he spends a fair amount of the daytime in the sling so I don't think I'm missing feeding cues.

Given all of that, I'm not too worried about the long sleeps even though it seems rather young to have such long gaps between feeds occasionally.

Is that reasonable?

funchum8am Tue 23-Oct-12 09:22:45

My DD is 19 days today and I had similar concerns re 4 to 5 hour stretches of sleep, though hers were during the day. MW said this was fine in babies who were putting on weight, as DD is, but that if it was causing me concern I could wake her every 3 hours to feed. This didn't work as she was too sleepy to feed effectively when I woke her so now I leave her. Next weigh in is later today but during wakeful periods she is alert and feeds efficiently so I am sure she is ok. So you are not alone, just keep an eye on weight and nappies, is probably best.

AngelDog Tue 23-Oct-12 18:47:30

Thanks. When I have tried waking him (eg to feed in the day before we need to go anywhere) it's often unsuccessful, though he will sometimes wake when moving him from one place to another.

Nappy output has been good again today. smile

Hope your weigh-in is okay.

It sounds fine to me, and since he's being weighed tomorrow you can check he's gaining ok, but the nappies are a good indication. Does he seem to be thriving? Happy and healthy? you're the best judge as his mother, so trust yourself.

Oh, and enjoy the sleep! I have a 9 month old who sleeps les than that some nights so I'm very jealous!

AngelDog Tue 23-Oct-12 21:00:39

Oh, I have a non-sleeping 2.9 y.o. too and the 9 month sleep regression nearly killed us so I sympathise. Unfortunately I was up for an hour with him in the middle of DS2's 5-hour stint. hmm I'm enjoying it while it lasts - DS1 was a fab, fab, fab sleeper till 3 weeks, then was dreadful.

Love your name. smile

LIG1979 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:40:24

When my dd was born she also slept longer than 3 hours and we were told by the mw to wake her to feed her if she hasn't eaten for 3 hours. She was having none of it and would refuse to eat if she wasn't telling us she was hungry. We ignored it but when she had regained her birthweight by day 10 the midwife changed her story and said as long as she only did it once or twice a day it was fine but she has to advise waking to feed every 3 hours. By 2 weeks old she was waking every 3 hours to feed anyway but initially she would go up to 5 hours. She is now 13 weeks and doing fine grin

LIG1979 Tue 23-Oct-12 21:42:16

And enjoy it now whilst you get over the birth - I wish I had spent less time during the first few days awake stressing that she wasn't eating as then when she picked up her eating it was exhausting!

AngelDog Wed 24-Oct-12 22:22:38

Thanks again, everyone. DS2 was weighed again today (10 days) and was 40g above birthweight so has put on 280g in the last 5 days.

He's been doing more long stretches - today he woke after 2 hours asleep, but he wouldn't take any milk and promptly fell asleep for another 2 hours. It probably means he'll be up half the night now...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now