Talk

Advanced search

Terrible wind - should I change formula??

(6 Posts)
helsybells Mon 22-Oct-12 18:07:25

My 4 week old baby is suffering from terrible wind. I've tried infacol which helps to an extent and also gaviscon as Dr suspects she's also suffering reflux and we thought it was worth trying it to see if she improved.

Both have helped to an extent but have not led to serious improvement. Qjed feeding time is generally just a miserable experience for the poor little love.

I am considering changing her from Aptamil which she has been on since I had to stop BF after her first week. I tried one feed of Aptamil comfort one day (on HV advice) and she had a hideous 3 hours of terrible discomfort straight after so I quickly switched back to regular Aptamil after that.

I know it's not good to switch formulas but I really feel like I have to do something to help her if I can as it's so distressing for her and me! I have heard great things from another forum about Hipp organic for very windy babies.

Has anyone here seen a significant improvement after a formula change? Bad wind from using Aptamil? Is it worth swithching and any info on brands also gratefully recieved?

tiktok Mon 22-Oct-12 18:32:18

There's nothing wrong with changing formulas - of course you can (and IMO should) switch to find something that makes it more comfortable for your baby.

helsybells Mon 22-Oct-12 20:01:05

Thanks tiktok. I had read elsewhere that switching formulas can cause more harm than good, but this was anecdotal evidence!! smile

LaCiccolina Mon 22-Oct-12 20:04:48

Change! No probs changing that or bottles if not working. Dr browns I heard people say worked better if really suffering. That said wind will just suddenly stop as soon as it starts when baby is bigger/stronger. Depressing but true unfortunately...

SamSmalaidh Mon 22-Oct-12 20:06:41

I think formula companies just like you to think you can't switch hmm SMA was awful for DS, but C&G and Aptimal were fine - different formulas suit different babies. I switched from Aptimal anyway because it is so overpriced!

Fairylea Mon 22-Oct-12 20:07:42

Absolutely change formulas.

Ds has been on everything including the comfort formulas. The only one that suits him is sma gold. Word of warning though - sma gold seems to make their poo green and sludgy at first and then gradually it goes back to normal !! ... lots of posts about it over the internet but everyone says it's ok including GP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now