Talk

Advanced search

Why am I still getting lots of pain? :-(

(14 Posts)
KaylaC Mon 22-Oct-12 16:56:58

My LO is 12 weeks old and I've had nothing but problems feeding him :-( Initially, poor latch, then tongue tie, then all seems to be going well and I thought we were finally there and the last few days its got worse and worse, today I'm in so much pain I've just given him a bottle of formula :'(

Chislemum Mon 22-Oct-12 17:03:50

I can't really help you with good advice but wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I had to give up BF at around week 8 as my nipples were bleeding (that was 28 September) and they have only now healed completely. My little one will be 12 weeks on Wednesday. My consultant gave me Cabergoline to stop lactation which I would not use again (just some advice) as I ended up in such pain and with a mastitis like inflammation that I had to take antibiotics for 2 1/2 weeks, only just came off them. Try to contact the La Leche league via their website - they have been very kind and helpful to me and also try to see NCT breast feeding groups. You are not alone and I applaud you for persevering. I have tried to relactate (as I was so sad about stopping) but it has immediately caused bleeding again. Sorry for rambling on here, just wanted to send you a virtual hug.

melonribena Mon 22-Oct-12 17:45:40

A hug from me as well! My baby is 13 weeks and we've had nothing but pain as well. Tongue tie has been snipped twice and I've had blocked ducts, split nipples and various lumps.
Some days are better than others. You have done brilliantly to get to 12 weeks! The only way I get through it is by making a conscious decision to take the pressure off myself, thinking that I've done so well to get this far and if I give up tomorrow I've given my baby the best I could! Once I took the pressure off, it suddenly became easier and I could put up with the pain knowing that that day could be the last - if you see what I mean! You've done so well!!

crikeybadger Mon 22-Oct-12 19:01:11

Sorry you're in pain KaylaC- can you describe the type of pain and when it is happening? During the feed, after it? Could the tongue tie have regrown?

ElphabaTheGreen Mon 22-Oct-12 19:08:47

You could potentially have thrush, which is quite common with tongue tie and nipple damage, and could explain onset of pain after a pain-free period. List of symptoms are here. If it sounds possible, print out that leaflet and take it with you to the GP as they are often very poor at diagnosis and providing the correct treatment. Hope things improve for you. I resorted to formula at one stage when I was struggling - he's still alive smile

KaylaC Mon 22-Oct-12 20:31:50

Thank you all for your supportive messages,

Chislemum sorry to hear that you've been suffering too :-( It's not nice hey. I actually had a bleeding nipple last week, it bled quite a bit on 2 feeds but hasn't again but is still sore.

Melonribenaalso sorry to hear that you've been suffering - I always thought I was the only one as no one I ever speak to has really suffered.

Crikeybadger it's a sharp pain during the feed, worse when he first latches but still painful throughout, I also get shooting type pains while I'm not feeding. He sticks his tongue out quite alot so I don't think that it's regrown, I will double check when he wakes up though

ElphabaTheGreen I went to a breastfeeding clinic about a month ago with problems and they said I was clear of thrush, I've had a look through the link you attached and I don't think it is thrush but I've managed to find a breastfeeding clinic which is about an hour away (there's not a local one to me) which is on tomorrow so I'm going to go to that and see what they say, really hope they can help me..... thanks again everyone

McBaby Mon 22-Oct-12 22:57:32

In the same boat ten week old, lots of pain and TT cut two weeks ago. She can use her tongue but doesn't during feeding! So so painful and get the same pattern as you.

ElphabaTheGreen Tue 23-Oct-12 05:25:04

Good idea to go to the clinic. Really hope they can help. Well done for persisting.

crikeybadger Tue 23-Oct-12 10:54:18

Yes, hope you get some good help at the clinic.

The type of pain you are experiencing could be thrush, but could also be caused by poor positioning and attachment.

KaylaC Tue 23-Oct-12 12:01:08

Thanks again, the support on here is awesome smile
McBaby sorry you are going through the same pain, I'm hoping this clinic I'm going to this afternoon will be helpful - is there anything like that near you?
I'll let you know how I get on later.

melonribena Tue 23-Oct-12 16:33:06

Good luck! smile

KaylaC Tue 23-Oct-12 16:40:10

Well, I've just got back from the clinic and she said my positioning/latch is fine, she's not really sure why I'm getting the pain but has said it's a possiblility we could have thrush so to go to docs to get a prescription and see if it's any better in a week or so. She said that thrush is really hard to diagnose as you can't always see any symptoms of it.
Thanks again for all your support x

NorthernBabe Wed 24-Oct-12 22:08:27

Lanisol worked really well for me when i got some pain when my baby was a few months old. It seemed to really soothe and help me to heal and my bub didnt seem to mind! x

KaylaC Sun 28-Oct-12 20:19:08

Thanks NorthernBabe - I have got some and was using it before but had stopped, I'll get it out again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now