Talk

Advanced search

fillings whilst breastfeeding

(10 Posts)
eachpeach11 Mon 22-Oct-12 14:36:39

When i was breastfeeding before I was told that standard NHS fillings not recommended so i had a tempory filling and a filling once I stopped.
This time i was told it fine.
Would you have an amalgam(sp) filling whilst breastfeeding or would you pay £80 for a white one?
I can't decide.

bonzo77 Mon 22-Oct-12 14:52:35

as a dentist... No, I would not have an amalgam filling while breast feeding. Really the NHS dentist should be providing a white one under the circumstances. The NHS contract changed in 2006 and white fillings are allowed. There is very little evidence to suggest that the amalgams are harmful if placed while pregnant or breast feeding, but my philosophy has always been that if something went wrong you would never know the cause and therefore perhaps blame yourself. As a dentist I like to cover my arse. If the dentist will not provide the white filling on the NHS, I absolutely would pay £80 (depending on the size of the filling).

tiktok Mon 22-Oct-12 14:58:14

eachpeach - evidence-based info on dental treatment and bf here:

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/drugs-in-breastmilk-information-and-factsheets.html

bonzo.....as a dentist, don't you prefer to look at the evidence and go by that, rather than tell people things to 'cover your arse'??? Why should the patient be responsible for covering your arse? You cover it, surely, by sharing information with her and letting her decide?

Whiteshoes Mon 22-Oct-12 15:08:46

I would prefer a white one. You should also note that most white fillings have bpa in them, but you can get one or two without. I would see if your dentist has the bpa-free one if you wish to be super cautious.

bonzo77 Mon 22-Oct-12 19:14:31

tik tok, because as a mother, as someone who is extremely risk adverse, as someone who has miscarried, who has suffered and continues to suffer crippling anxiety regarding my own pregnancy, who has seen 4 friends deal with stillbirths, my judgement is coloured by my awareness of people's psychological foibles. Obviously I cannot assume all mothers feel the way I do. I do prefer to stick to the evidence base, in conjunction with(though not over ridden by) my experience. I agree absolutely that the patient should decide, and nowhere did I say that I would not place an amalgam in a breastfeeding woman. I take the same attitude to all non- emergency treatment including rads in pregnancy. We know that modern intra oral radiography with rectangular columnation (with the exception of the vertex occlusal) will not irradiate the fetus. If a woman expresses concerns we will discuss her options, the relative risks of various treatments and of postponing treatment.

With regards to "covering my arse" (a badly chosen turn of phrase), one of the important factors that might sway an individual to complaint / litigation is poor "bedside manner". I believe that by understanding and addressing concerns is part of "bedside manner" and getting informed consent, and by giving choices we are all better off. If I placed an amalgam in a BFing woman without discussing risks and alternatives, she might later allege, even psychological harm as a result. Because like so many things there is no guarantee it is safe. So, while as I said myself there is little evidence for significant passage of mercury into breast milk (and indeed as your link says the risk from tuna is more significant), I think that patients need to know that there is some risk, however small.

OTOH I am not adverse to amalgam at all and certainly would not as a blanket approach overlook it as an option, including in lactating or pregnant women.

3plus2 Mon 22-Oct-12 19:56:02

Great! I had one last week and was not told this! It's a silvery metal one bloody awful she didn't ask me if I wanted a white one sad I looked in the mirror and looks like my tooth has rotted sad and I'm EBF ! She knows I have a baby and she didn't ask sad

bonzo77 Mon 22-Oct-12 20:16:41

3plus don't panic. Check out tiktok's link. Now that it's there there is little point having the filling changed because it's now in a stable state and drilling out would release more mercury than leaving it alone.

tiktok Mon 22-Oct-12 23:49:45

bonzo, sounds as if you are sensitive and informative....but yes, I agree that covering your arse was not a great way of describing what you do when being sensitive and informative smile

3plus2 Tue 23-Oct-12 16:31:43

Well it's In there now but would have been nice to have been asked! Bit naughty

MistressIggi Tue 23-Oct-12 16:55:57

My dentist arranged for me to have a filling while pg (which he knew I was). On reflection I cancelled it and thought I'd get it done once baby was out - but then started worrying about bf, and if I manage to bf for 2 years it'll be a long time before I get it done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now