Talk

Advanced search

What's normal for a newborn?

(9 Posts)

Had a beautiful baby girl this morning at around 9am., she breastfed enthusiastically several times before we left the hospital at 1 but has only fed once since then around 2pm.

She has only opened her eyes once and been asleep most of the day, I cannot wake her to feed - its now been around 4 hours since a feed and she has been sick (mucus I think) in that tjme

I'm just about to call the labour ward but wonder is this normal? She's also not pooed yet

tiktok Sun 21-Oct-12 18:14:20

Good idea to call postnatal ward (not labour ward....) and ask about this.

Some babies are a little slow on the first day, and your lovely baby is not even 12 hours old....so too soon to be concerned IMO, especially as she has already shown she can feed well smile

Keep her skin to skin, not sleeping away from you, and if she continues to stay asleep for another hour or so, you can hand express colostrum and give it to her on a spoon, drop by drop into her mouth....but do check with the ward before you do anything. You may be able to get a midwife visit tonight which should also help.

That was exactly what they told me! Thank you tiktok I was hoping you'd answer!

chipsandmushypeas Sun 21-Oct-12 18:31:12

Oh congratulations! I'm sure she's fine but always best to ring in x

HoratiaWinwood Sun 21-Oct-12 18:50:18

DS2 was very sicky for 48h after his v quick delivery, and knackered, so had to be woken for a syringe feed (ebm) every five hours.

I was amazed at the amount of blood-streaked mucus he vomited. It seemed never-ending, until suddenly it stopped.

Thereafter he fed voraciously and still does - it just took him a while to recover from the birth.

Well she's still barely opened her eyes but has stopped bringing up mucus and had her first poo

she also fed non-stop for 7 hours last night, literally one side and then the other, even co-sleeping I only managed to get 2 hours sleep! She's fed on and off all morning as well. I think it's safe to say this girl likes milk! I needn't have worried but 5 hours without waking/wanting a feed seems a lot for me - DS never went more than 1.5 hours until he was about 9 months old!

HoratiaWinwood Mon 22-Oct-12 14:34:33

Oh good. Keep going!

whatsoever Tue 23-Oct-12 04:29:16

NiceCupOfTea glad to hear its going well now.

My 8 day old had similar on day 2 (we were in hospital for a week). I couldn't wake him at times & he wasn't interested in the boob. I hand expressed & fed him colostrum by syringe twice & he had 10ml of formula by cup & this was enough to give him his strength back. I was beside myself thinking he would dehydrate/ starve but now his problem is guzzling too much milk!

These first few weeks seem like a feeding minefield.

NervousAt20 Tue 23-Oct-12 04:50:17

Congratulations !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now