Talk

Advanced search

Stopping BF - cold turkey? or gradually?

(4 Posts)
NomNomingiaDePlum Sun 21-Oct-12 14:10:29

DD2 is 10.5 months old, and it seems every time she cuts a tooth/gets a cold, i get mastitis. today i have a red inflamed nipple that feels like someone's had at it with a nut cracker, and the only reason this isn't going to turn into a trip to the doctor's is that i'm already taking an antibiotic... nothing i do seems to discourage the biting; i take her off and she starts howling, but still bites again when i feed her next.

so, it's time to wean her; i just can't take the pain and the rounds of antibiotics anymore. i'm sad about this, she loves bf, and i don't know how to approach it. she still feeds 3-4 times a day and during the night, and while she will occasionally drink formula, she's not that keen on it and definitely isn't interested in it as a substitute for bf. is there any way i can wean without distressing her too much? or should i just get it over with as quickly as possible?

BackOnceAgainWithLoopyLoops Sun 21-Oct-12 14:15:02

Also wanting to stop.

Last time it started hurting too much (didn't realise, but was pregnant), so I went cold turkey. DD (15 months) was fine really (a bit screechy), but boobs we really sore.

This time, DD is 16 months. She fidgets and pulls, and it takes bloody hours to get her to bed. I work full time and would like a little bit of my evenings back. Only just got her to sleep (am abroad, is 9.13pm here). I've had enough.

I'm not sure gradually will work for me. She only feeds two or three times during the week, but at weekends can be all bloody day long if we're not out. I think I might take older DD away for weekend and see if that works.

NomNomingiaDePlum Sun 21-Oct-12 14:26:11

i was trying to get to 12 months, but i just don't think i can handle another month and a half of it - the biting and the sleeplessness (co-sleeping/snakcing issues as well). i'm not sure gradual will work with her, she's charming and persistent and i'm tired and apt to relent. but i don't want her to feel rejected, you know? argh.

a weekend away sounds lovely smile hope it works for you

BackOnceAgainWithLoopyLoops Sun 21-Oct-12 14:41:49

Worth it to get to 12 months if only because you can go straight onto cow's milk. If formula preparation doesn't bother you, do what's best for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now