Talk

Advanced search

Any tips on using infant gaviscon when bf?

(15 Posts)
SwivelHips Sun 21-Oct-12 10:02:55

DS has been diagnosed as having reflux, long old slog as he's now 20 wks. He's mixed fed so the bottles in the day are easy, but I usually bf all feeds from 2am until lunchtime the next day.
I've been using the powders for a few days but no change so I'm thinking I'll need to tackle the breastfeeds too...any tips on how i'll do this?
I'm also wondering whether I should go to GP and ask for different medication that is more suitable for BF - if such a thing exists?

sparklingsea Sun 21-Oct-12 10:12:02

You have my sympathy! DS2 had dreadful reflux. I used to syringe gaviscon (mixed with small amount of water) at the same time as breast feeding. Took abit of fine tuning but sort of poked it in the corner of his lip at the same time, and pushed it in gradually, there was no way I could get it in any other way! The gaviscon makes for some very interesting poos!

SwivelHips Sun 21-Oct-12 11:05:04

Yes I've noticed a change in his poos, he's not constipated yet but I suspect he's heading that way.

applecrumple Sun 21-Oct-12 19:49:01

Gaviscon makes my dd constipated, but a couple of doses of gripe water sorts it out

NotAnotherNewNappy Mon 22-Oct-12 10:06:11

I tried every which way but found mixing it with 1oz of formula and giving it in a bottle before BF worked best. Total PITA but DD1 was like a new baby once it kicked in. good luck.

SwivelHips Mon 22-Oct-12 11:20:55

Did it take a while to kick in? We started last wed pm and I can't see a difference, although could be because I haven't used it for bf yet...

NotAnotherNewNappy Mon 22-Oct-12 11:51:40

The results were v quick for us (i.e. DD1 actually slept!). What are your LO's symptoms? Does his poo look like play dough yet?

SwivelHips Mon 22-Oct-12 13:44:49

Oh yes play dough poo and a lot of effort on his part..

His day feeds are still difficult, ie back arching etc and still bringing back milk after a feed (and 2 hours afterwards)
Evenings we never used to have a problem in that he'd have a bottle and go down for a few hours. This week he's very hard to settle, he goes down about 10pm we have a 3 hour sleep, then a bottle then the nightime entertainment begins....he wakes usually about every 45 mins...he's very restless kicking his legs, farting and I can hear the gurgling in his throat, although he isn't sick in his cot. I take him in with us at this stage and his next feed is bf. I usually bf him to sleep, even though he's in with us he's very unsettled. He sleeps not too bad on our chests if we keep vertical but neither of us sleep. I am so bloody tired all the time...although I think I'm starting to accept this feeling as the norm. I can no longer spell, read or string a sentence but hey he's gorgeous smile

sparklingsea Mon 22-Oct-12 14:39:27

I think for us solids and the passage of time were the main things that helped. We started solids really quite early and he finally started gaining good amounts of weight. We eventually kind of replaced milk feeds with milky stodge instead. The only way any of us got any sleep was taking it in turns to sit up on a rocking chair with him on our chests. The crawling stage was particularly messy, a trail of sick where ever he had been!

jennimoo Mon 22-Oct-12 15:04:43

We did syringe and a teeny bit of water and gave it first I think. If it hasn't helped by using for some feeds I'd go back to doctor too.

I felt that there was no support for someone wanting to bf a baby prescribed gaviscon, and had to work it put myself...

applecrumple Mon 22-Oct-12 15:12:10

Agree jennmoo, all these medications are fine for FF babies but bloody PITA for BF ones! I follow the instructions on the packet to make up, but 15ml of liquid is a lot for a LO to take by syringe & if you give it after a feed you run the risk of baby getting over full & posetting it back up which defeats the object!

NotAnotherNewNappy Mon 22-Oct-12 22:06:16

Agreed, BF with reflux and using Gaviscon can be difficult. You have to be very determined to make it work, but if you are then it CAN be done. Hope your DS is more settled soon.

sadnoonie Mon 22-Oct-12 22:43:14

We struggled with gaviscon and bf (bottle refuser) - not ebf friendly! The best we managed was to make it up in 4mls water ( or make up about 4/5 doses in 20mls and keep in fridge for up to 24 hrs). V hard to get him to take it, don't think he actually ever took a full dose! Either syringe or a medicine dummy were easiest to use.

We ended up going back to gp as it wasn't helping. Prescribed ranitidine and that did work, thankfully! Plus much smaller amount to syringe in, so much better suited to bf.

He's now nearly one and weaning off the ranitidine fine smile good luck, reflux sucks.

gingerbubs Mon 22-Oct-12 22:51:16

Ranitidine worked for us, plus cutting tomatoes out of my diet made a huge difference - random I know. Have a think about if there's anything you eat that makes the reflux worse. Reflux was truly awful, but it does pass. Good luck!

SwivelHips Tue 23-Oct-12 13:37:02

Agree total PITA with bf...especially as I only bf for comfort in the day or if caught short when out etc it just wont work. As it happens DS has been getting steadily worse at night since he's been on so I've stopped it today. I'll give him a few days to settle down and I'll go to gp.
For me gingerbubs I can't eat oranges, he seems to really suffer when I eat them. I really miss my morning orange too.
Thanks everyone for your advice, v much appreciated (again!) smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now