Talk

Advanced search

Problems with 20do latch

(9 Posts)
ballroomblitz Sun 21-Oct-12 09:00:39

Dd's latch was checked before I left the hospital and once I got home with the midwife. Both ok-ed it although the midwife did comment that she didn't open her mouth wide but it seemed to work for us. Fast foward and the past week dd's latch has been getting progressively worse, in that she is making a sucking noise and taking in a lot of air. I spoke to the hv at the baby clinic on Thursday and found her a bit dismissive tbh. She seemed to think that because my breasts and nipples were feeling ok and dd's weight gain is following the 50 centile line she is feeding fine and I should just give her infacol for the wind.

The past couple of days dd's latch is terrible. She is only nursing for a minute or two but sucking in a hell of a lot of air while she is doing it. This means that she stops to need winded constantly, but sometimes I can't get all the wind out (with infacol) and she refuses to feed anymore despite hardly feeding. I think the problem is a shllow latch but I can't seem to encourage her to open her mouth wider or take in more of the nipple area.

Have spent from yesterday on the verge of tears about this all and I now have zero confidence that I can do this. Added to this have woke up this morning and one of my breasts is sore near my armpit and I think I can feel a blocked milk duct. I have a fear of developing mastitus as I got it with ds.

I was signed up to peer to peer support at the hospital when I left but got a phone call the next day to say I was out of their area. Going to speak to my own hv tomorrow with who I could contact but does anyone have any advice or help on latch or positions that might help to get me through until tomorrow (and stop me from reaching from the bottles)?

McBaby Sun 21-Oct-12 09:09:54

Has she been checked for tongue tie. Sounds similar to how my DD fed to start with.

ballroomblitz Sun 21-Oct-12 09:22:23

No McBaby I don't think so. I know the hospital and hv checked her mouth and assumed that's what they were looking for.

ballroomblitz Sun 21-Oct-12 09:33:55

Who would check for tongue tie? Does it need to be snipped to feed properly?

MigGril Sun 21-Oct-12 09:52:56

does she make clicking while feeding?

You can ring any of the helplines who can talk you through latch. they are open 7 days a week.

in the meantime you could try lathing on using the biological nurturing position. have a google for some you tube videos, it a good position for young babies and helps them get a bigger mouth full of breast.

MigGril Sun 21-Oct-12 09:53:37

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/breastfeeding-help-support.aspx

ballroomblitz Sun 21-Oct-12 10:45:20

Yes MigGril. Best way I can put it is it's a clicking, sucking in air then I can feel her tongue rasp over the tip of my nipple as she loses the position it was in and tries to recorrect it.

Thank you. I didn't realise there were helpline numbers, I'll give them a ring today.

McBaby Sun 21-Oct-12 22:26:49

TT can be missed and hard to diagnose as my DD was and took eight weeks to get it diagnosed despite numerous trips to gp, breast feeding drop in etc. it's only when she was crying and lifted her tongue when I was talking to a midwife she really noticed it. The paediatric ENT the checked it and cut it the following week.

McBaby Sun 21-Oct-12 22:27:51

It can also make it hard for them to open mouth wide enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now